Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REMOVE READ-ONLY ATTRIBUTE FROM FOLDER

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 passacaglia

passacaglia

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:48 AM

Hello again,

Actually, the problem began when I tried to download some stuff on Chrome and always got a message more or less like "Download failed-error".

I reported this to Chrome and hope they will give me an answer whenever. Maybe you people might give me a hand with this.

Because of this I switched to Firefox, who is configured - just like Chrome - to place my downloads in my folder D:\Downloads.

After three tries nothing happened. I had two .exe files in the folder but that should not be the cause of the problem.

Looking around, I found Firefox had saved my downloads in C:\Users\Ernesto\Downloads

I cut the files to paste them in downloads, but was not allowed because the D:\Downloads folder miraculously transformed (or should I say transubstantiated) into a read-only folder and did not allow me to paste my downloads there.

Frankly, I don't know how these things happen. But, oh well. So I ran the command

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\Downloads\*.*

To my surprise I got the reply that the whatchamacallit system could not change the attributes of each of the files inside the folder.

These were (and still are - and work perfectly from the now "read only" folder) AdwCleaner.exe and sd5_setup.exe

So I repeated the same operation but, instead of the *.* at the end, I put the name of each file. So this was a two commands operation.

Now, that didn't work either. The "you know who" said "I cannot change the attribute of AdwCleaner.exe - and repeated the same phrase for the other file.

When I right-clicked on the files, the drop-down menu had no "delete" function. Anyway, that wouldn't have solved the problem.

Going to Properties tab Security didn't work for me. Of course, I'm no expert, but I have done that operation of editing permissions (sometimes in a kind of roundabout way). However, a very long time ago, and could not find the "roundabout" way.

I tried to takeown /f the folder and do an icacls but, as you surely have guessed, that didn't work either.

I could copy the files (not cut, remember) to another folder, but that would not solve the problem as it should be solved.

Of course, I cut open a new folder and change the download settings on the browsers. That would be a temporary solution (unless they mysteriously become read-only also).

But that's not the right way. One must solve the problem of removing the read-only attribute and I have run out of my limited options. I'm just a junior member in this forum and I don't have a PhD in Computer Science (though I think that if I had one, I still wouldn't know what to do).

So here I am again. And, by the way, the sfc /scannow still hasn't found any integrity violations. Thanks for your help Aura.

Maybe you can help me again???  Or somebody else???

Well, it's almost 4:00 AM here so I will consult with my pillow now, and hope that by sometime tomorrow somebody can call me an idiot because I didn't do such and such.

Good night everybody and good luck.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:50 AM

Surprise, surprise !

I just discovered that all my folders are now read-only

I think we're going to have a party!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:04 AM

FWIW:  I've never...in 20 years of playing with computers...found the read-only attribute to be important or to prevent any modification of a file.  What makes you think that this is a problem?  What can you not do...that you want to do?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326549

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 October 2016 - 05:08 AM.

#4 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for your reply

Please excuse the font size. I use it only because I have vision problems.

I cannot "write" into any folder.

This, in practice, means that my downloads have failed because they have not been allowed to be saved to my downloads folder (D:\Downloads). As both my browsers are configured

I changed the settings in order to save the downloads to the Desktop.

That gave no problems since the Desktop is not an "only read" element. 

After any program I have downloaded, I put the download executable in my F:\Software folder

As you are well aware, the executable, after downloading a program, is what installs the program.

As they are downloads, they , by browser config, are saved in D:\Downloads (which they now are not allowed to do).

The executable also gets loaded in the left bottom part of the screen, from where I run the executable, which creates the program.

The executable download also, by default (or should I say because of the browser's config), is saved to the D:\Downloads folder. From which I cut and paste it to my F:\Software folder.

So, if anything goes wrong with the system and erases my program, I can install it again from the executable, now in my Software folder. Which, by the way, is periodically backed up to an external drive, just like the OS is too.

With the new config (save downloads to desktop), all downloads work and are placed in my desktop. But when I cut it from the Desktop to place it in my Software folder, the system does not allow me to. ("F:\ Drive is Read Only" is the message I get).

I don't like any clutter in my desktop. I have no screen saver and my desktop is solid black with only 4 files in it. Two are obligatory for me: Recycle Bin and Computer.

Windows, when installed, has only the Recycle Bin in the Desktop, If you want the "My Computer", you have to install it by yourself, which I did.

The other two, for some reason, do not accept being in the taskbar. They are my uninstall programs Revo Uninstaller Pro and Iobit Uninstaller. Which uninstall programs leaving no traces behind, which the Windows uninstaller (Uninstall a Program - in the Control Panel) does. (Just check your registry).

So the problem I have is that the system, does not allow me now to download to any folder I may choose, and does not allow me to paste the download in my Software folder.

I should be allowed to do this, which I have done for years.

Answering your question straight: What I want to do but cannot do is place files in any folder.

Thank you for your understanding and future help, if possible.

Edited by passacaglia, 24 October 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#5 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:27 PM

Are you sure it isn't a permissions issue? I've never heard of not being able to move any files into a folder other than it being a permission issue. What happens when you try to drag a file into one of the folders?

Are you on the same account that the folder was created on?

https://www.petri.com/external-hard-drive-read-only-solution

scroll down and follow the cmd prompts to take away read-only.

Edited by chalup, 24 October 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#6 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

Thank you chalup

The cmds worked beautifully.

For whoever is reading, when you think it is finished, it isn't. You must continue scrolling down for the final cmds.

After you have checked your disk and volumes, and one of their attributes say Read Only - NO, you are almost finished.

First, very important, you have to reboot.

Second, the properties of the folders will continue saying Read Only. But this time you can uncheck the read-only box and click on Apply and then OK and you are ready to write anything into that folder.

I guess this would apply to all other read-only folders you may have.

Great work chalup and thank you very much. 

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 03:55 AM

FWIW:  I've never...in 20 years of playing with computers...found the read-only attribute to be important or to prevent any modification of a file.  What makes you think that this is a problem?  What can you not do...that you want to do?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/326549

Louis

I agree with Hamluis:

For me after 14yrs.

Any Usb Drive or D:\ Partition i use , shows within any Folders on its properties , Highlighted Tab and Read Only.

I can drag and drop any File to anywhere C:\ > D:\ ...D:\  > USB, ...Or  Copy / Paste to anywhere.

I would think something has gone amiss / or has been altered / or permissions changed.

But if you found a Solution that worked thats a win.

#8 passacaglia

passacaglia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 323 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:54 AM

Hello Havachat and thanks for your interest.

Just like you, I have had many experiences with computers for quite some years. Actually, since 1968.

To solve problems (like Montecarlo and others) I had to use a monstrous IBM computer which occupied almost an entire room. And it was not a small room. It had racks with magnetic tapes, a table with large sheets of paper to write all the steps the computer had to go through from my input to the desired output. Lots of IF→THEN.  

You could end up with an enormous sheet of paper depending on what you wanted the computer to do. And, of course, a sort of typing machine to punch cards. And there was a great amount of probability you would punch the wrong card (you had to follow closely the final diagram you wrote), or put it in the wrong place or mistakenly punch a hole in the wrong place. And you had to know how to program with Fortran IV. And, at least in my case, some times I had to start all over again. (Messy process).

In 1984 i worked on my first PC. It had a small screen, which wrote only in green, and it was big since it used CRTs. The PC itself consisted of two large slots, named A: and B: 

You inserted your 8 inch floppies in these slots. One had an OS (normally DOS) and the other a rudimentary piece of software for something.

You needed a different 8 inch floppy for each type of software you wanted to run. And it could be hooked to a printer. Marvelous machines. 

Around 1986 or 1987 we got a surprise. A PC that worked with much smaller disks (called diskettes) and a fantastic 80386 CPU delivering a whopping speed of over 20 Mhz on a 16 or 32 bit external bus.

We (the office) had a party celebrating this marvel of science that we received. Or, rather, bought at quite an expensive price. I worked in Brazil at the time at a wholly owned subsidiary of a US multinational company controlled by the Reynolds family.

Although not in the same branch of the family, that manufactured Camel, Winston, Salem and other cigarette brands, they were wealthy people with lots of money invested in stocks.

We've come a long way from there and I have lost  the knack for computer knowledge and operation. And, unlike my son, I don't have a clue on programming in C++. Nor any of the other (maybe over 100) programming languages.

So, Havachat, you are absolutely right when you wrote

"Any Usb Drive or D:\ Partition i use , shows within any Folders on its properties , Highlighted Tab and Read Only.

I can drag and drop any File to anywhere C:\ > D:\ ...D:\  > USB, ...Or  Copy / Paste to anywhere.

I would think something has gone amiss / or has been altered / or permissions changed."

Following your line of thought, I could also drag, drop, copy or cut any file in my PC and in any USBs I might have connected. That was absolutely commonplace.

But I have never met anybody who could not cut or copy and paste from one end of the PC to any other end. And less alone, someone who could not download anything unles his browser was configured to drop all download on the desktop.

So, as you well stated: something has gone amiss / or been altered / or permissions changed.

To my knowledge, I have not done anything that could cause this to happen. So it must have been the dark hands of Microsoft.

I begin to understand my son's loathing of Microsoft. He only uses Linux or Unix. He has a computing technical degree and only uses Windows for gaming.

As you also said: "if you found a Solution that worked thats a win"

I found the solution, I fixed the problem, but I'll be damned if i know how this came to happen.

Thanks for your words Havachat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users