Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer... Tried Everything And No Answers!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jae_smith

jae_smith

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:39 PM

Hey guys I'll post what i put up on Yahoo Answers:

The problem started some time ago, originally I thought I didn't have enough ram or I needed a faster graphics card but that didn't fix it. Here are my computer specs:

1) Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz
2) 1.5 Gig Ram
3) 80 Gig HD
4) Windows XP Sp2
5) Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT

I suspect the problem is due to some program I installed. The symptoms are that programs and processes on the computer signficantly slow down WITHOUT a reduction in Ram usage but the CPU is running at nearly 100% usage... this is exemplified when I try to run any video media file where the video is choppy. I usually do a lot of 3d animation, using Blender in particular... but I've tried uninstalling it but it doesn't make any difference. I have done the following in summary:

1) Virus and spyware check
2) Registry clean and defragmentation (used several programs that not only clean the registry but clean up all the junk files lying around the hardrive)
3) Defragmented the HD

None of these have worked.

Just a few more details...

I have done pretty much everything that has been suggested thus far... i don't have any games installed so it won't be from that and I also don't have a screensaver.

FYI - System Restore does fix the problem (that's how I used to fix it) but unfortunately I don't have any restore points to go back to, where the computer was running normally... so now I have to fix the problem.

When I did do a system restore the problem went away.. then I setup a scene render overnight using Blender and when I woke up in them morning I also found that AVG decided to run a virus checker at the same time, but my rendered avi finished and I stopped the antivirus scan. After that when I tried to view any media file, the video would be choppy and the general processor speed hit the floor... everything is take two or three times longer than it used to.

My last resort option is to reinstall XP and that will probably fix the problem... but if I can do anything to avoid that it would be awesome.

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jae_smith

jae_smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:24 AM

And yes... I have looked at the troubleshooting guide, I've done most of it!

#3 derekhhh

derekhhh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:31 AM

I believe there is a program out there that allows you to monitor all of the processes taking placeevery second your computer is running. That might help to narrow down the problem. I believe AAtools is one of those progams.

Also, I assume you did this, but I thought I'd ask. Did you Ctrl+Alt+Delete and look at the running processes to see what is eating up the memory?

Lastly, did you install Forceware for that Geforce video driver? When I did, I had a similar problem . Might try rolling back your video card driver if all else fails.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:51 AM

Also, I assume you did this, but I thought I'd ask. Did you Ctrl+Alt+Delete and look at the running processes to see what is eating up the memory?

The above advice is the place to start. Look at the running processes and look for high numbers under the cpu column when you are experiencing difficulties.

You probably have some corrupted software on your computer, or a program is having a conflict, something along those lines. Of course it also possible that you have malicious software on your computer too, but in this case I would put that lower on the list of possibilities.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users