Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What could be causing this annoying sound (sound included)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 justMK

justMK

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

Hello, I have an HP ENVY Phoenix 850-065se. Since day one it's been making this noise:

https://clyp.it/emgtgery

I recorded that sound with my phone, so it's the exact one, not something similar from the internet. You can hear the fan which is fine, but then that clicking/crackling sound is what's annoying. Yesterday I swapped the included Hard Drive with an SSD and removed the Hard Drive completely. It's booting up with the SSD, everything's fine on that front. I always thought the sound was the Hard Drive but apparently it's not that. I took the sliding tower cover off and turned it on and tried to see if I could just hear where that sound is coming from but I can't pinpoint it. Really surprised it's not the Hard Drive.

Here's some specs:

http://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c04741533#AbT1

Any ideas on what I should check next, and how to check it? Like, "disconnect this, boot up, is it still doing it?" kinda thing? Thanks for any help  :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:28 PM

I think it's pretty much impossible to say from the sound itself. To locate such a sound, I'd find a "listening tube" of some kind (piece of flexible plastic/rubber tubing or hose) and point it around in the case with one end at my ear. That usually lets you isolate if the sound is coming from a component, the cabinet (plastic rubbing), in the PSU etc.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

I would be a little concerned about the HDD at this point

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,158 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:36 PM

My understanding of the post is that the HDD is no longer in the unit, having been replaced by a SSD, and the sound is still there.

#5 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

Missed that part...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,844 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:15 PM

A stethoscope using a long plastic tube (straw) with an eraser on the end (to put in the ear).  Move the open end of the tube around the major elements to start and then ports and vent areas beides the fans.  Look for and if neccesary finger each nut and screw to insure tightness.  The more I listen to the audio the more  it sounds like a voltage regulator in the power supply is breaking down its insulator.  A  multimeter voltage check on  each supply may reveal an unstable one, the culprit.

#7 justMK

justMK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:50 AM

thanks for the advice guys. so i figured out where the noise is coming from, but not how to fix it yet. it's the liquid cooled cpu fan. i unplugged it and the noise stopped. tried it a few times and it's that fan for sure. the weird thing is if i put a ramp under the front of the pc so that the tower is tilted at a 45 degree angle, the noise almost stops for good, it just does one of those crackle sounds like once every couple of minutes instead of constant. Any ideas on how to fix that sound from a liquid cooled cpu fan? i have no idea what to do with that whatsoever. thanks again for any advice.

#8 justMK

justMK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:45 AM

here's a photo of the fan in question. the arrow shows what i unplugged that stopped the noise.

ojmr8o.jpg

but not sure what to do to keep the noise off with that thing.

Edited by justMK, 28 October 2016 - 02:46 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,158 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:00 AM

Replace the fan would be one solution. A tilt almost eliminating it suggests it may be end play, you could check that by pressing the tip of a pin against the very center of the spinning fan. If the problem sound goes away while the fan is being prevented from moving along the shaft, that would be it. Also make quite sure there isn't a plastic casting dag somewhere that a single blade tip can just touch intermittently. If it proves to be end play, on a sleeve bearing it can sometimes be damped by applying a drop of heavy motor oil into the bearing recess under the end label.

The system would also benefit from having the heat exchanger cleaned of fluff...

Edited by Platypus, 28 October 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#10 justMK

justMK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:10 PM

When i stop the fan blades the rattling continues, the actual fan on that photo has no effect on the sound. When i put the pc tower on it's side - basically that photo i have up there would be facing up like you see it bird's eye view - the rattling goes NUTS! If i turn the pc tower to normal position, then lift the front up and put something under so that it's 45 degrees that way the sound calmed down for a couple of days but now it's starting to do the rattle again.

I moved anything that can be moved one by one to see if anything is touching something that's causing the rattle and nothing was. To me, it sounds like it's coming from inside the black thing with the HP logo on it but i'm not totally sure.

I read a few results online that say the cause is air trapped in those hoses, but i just can't see how that would cause rattling. some people say the trapped air causes the rattling with the water pump? I don't see a water pump unless it's on that black box behind the fan, but even then no idea what to do about it.

Would anyone advise me to unplug it, unscrew the 4 screws holding the HP circle thing and unscrew the 4 bolts on the back holding that entire black box/fan/hoses apparatus and take that to a pc repair shop for testing?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

I doubt there are any replaceable parts on the sealed pump unit. Sounds like the pump bearing is going bad. Is the computer still under warranty?

You may be able to fit an aftermarket unit like Corsair

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h55-quiet-cpu-cooler

Or Deepcool

http://www.deepcool.com/product/gamerstorm/2015-04/6_1822.shtml

CoolerMaster is another

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 October 2016 - 08:39 PM.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:49 AM

Yeah I would replace it with an aftermarket cooler also next time use a can of air a computer is more than the piece of furniture you know :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 justMK

justMK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys, we can mark this one [ Solved ].

The sound is now really obvious from the round part with the HP logo. Researched a little more and that's the water pump, and its gone bad. The fans and radiator and hoses are fine, but as you guys said, it's a one-piecer and can't be fixed. The frustrating part is that the case is designed for 92mm fans. I tried a Corsair H75 which is 120mm with a 120-to-92 adapter but the width just didn't fit. I'm having to resort to what I've found to be the only 92mm aftermarket liquid cpu cooler which is from Asetek, which i've never even heard of and there's no reviews anywhere:

http://www.asetek.com/desktop/oem-cpu-coolers/545lc/

Hopefully it turns out ok, if not, I guess i'll get a new more standard sized ATX case and use the Corsair that i haven't returned yet. Thanks again.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:24 PM

+1 on  a new case with a standard CPU cooler unit.

#15 lucasjackson

lucasjackson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys, we can mark this one [ Solved ].

The sound is now really obvious from the round part with the HP logo. Researched a little more and that's the water pump, and its gone bad. The fans and radiator and hoses are fine, but as you guys said, it's a one-piecer and can't be fixed. The frustrating part is that the case is designed for 92mm fans. I tried a Corsair H75 which is 120mm with a 120-to-92 adapter but the width just didn't fit. I'm having to resort to what I've found to be the only 92mm aftermarket liquid cpu cooler which is from Asetek, which i've never even heard of and there's no reviews anywhere:

http://www.asetek.com/desktop/oem-cpu-coolers/545lc/

Hopefully it turns out ok, if not, I guess i'll get a new more standard sized ATX case and use the Corsair that i haven't returned yet. Thanks again.

What was your result?

I have the same machine and the same problems.  Clicks, wooshing sound when the cpy is ramped at an angle. Sometimes the fan gets possessed and throttles like a jet engine.

In researching your solutions, I noticed backplates require replacement with the new fan assembly.... I dont see how to do that without taking the MB out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users