Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus that might be compatible with Defender

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bizman123

bizman123

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

I have a fresh install of win7 on a new HDD and I was prepping to log into my Norton account and download a fresh install of latest Norton 360. 

However right now windows defender is on for this desktop.  My laptop and vista machines have to have defender off to run Norton. 

This brand new win 7 has a warning that there is no virus program installed.  So, wondering if there is some antivirus software that is actually compatible with windows defender and firewall.  I like the idea of a couple different programs looking over my shoulder. 

I have in 15 years only had one issue with a virus on a Norton covered machines all that time and it was the type that Norton on machine couldn't remove.  Norton got on line and repaired my machine which I thought was pretty good.  It probably took an hour or more, and would have cost me quite a bit at the local computer store to get fixed.  BUT, I have always felt Norton was a bit of a resource hog and I also feel that it has slowed my boot up times over time with different updates.  

So, was thinking of not installing the Norton.  Other options that will let me keep windows defender running?

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

Hi:

Windows Defender under Win7 is NOT an anti-virus.  It is only a (weak) anti-malware application.

So, yes, -- at a bare minimum -- you will need a robust, up-to-date AV with real-time protection.

There are many fine choices, both free and paid.

There is no one "best" choice that suits all computers and all users.

I suggest starting with @quietman7's excellent pinned topics/articles here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316629

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2413189

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 23 October 2016 - 06:08 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

Windows Defender in Windows 7/Vista is an anti-malware program intended to supplement your anti-virus program (not replace it) but IMO it is not very effective. I would recommend keeping it disabled and replacing it with a more effective program like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.BTW, if your laptop is also Windows 7 and your Vista system both have Norton installed, neither should require you to disable Defender in order to run Norton.

Note for other readers: Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, Windows Defender 8/10 is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems like Windows 7 and Vista. Since Windows 8/10 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it typically is disabled automatically by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program except for Limited Periodic Scanning in Windows 10 Anniversary Update.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:24 PM

I don't believe Norton Internet Security (which I use) is compatible with Defender.  Installation on both machines flagged win defender and told me I had to disable it. 

which isn't a problem, I was just considering some overlapping programs if I could work it out since no one program is perfect.  I used to do this quite a few years ago running Norton, Adaware, and ZoneAlarm on same machine (XP I think)   But then later versions of Norton on newer window's OS's became incompatible with the ZA. 

Kevin

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

What happens if you ignore the warning Norton gives?

If Norton is flagging Defender as needing to be turned off, then it may well flag similar programs like Malwarebytes which IMO is not a good thing for it to be doing.

In the past Norton did not do that and if there were any problems, folks just added exclusions as described here.

#6 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

Haven't tried it in a while, but I recall that it failed to install and run properly. 

Kevin

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:18 PM

Then I would either choose another antivirus solution or disable Defender.

#8 bizman123

bizman123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:19 PM

Defender disabled, and your suggestion is what my post was all about.  I was curious if there was a security suite or AV that WAS compatible with Win7 windows defender. 

Kevin

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,082 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:11 AM

Anti-virus Software which includes a firewall and other features are typically called a Security suite (package). Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in Firewall provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions, see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users