Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Assistance without invitation?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZimZoB214

ZimZoB214

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:37 AM

Hey.

I'd like to remotely connect to my media server PC (on 24/7) without even having to touch it. The reason why is because it's hard wired to my router in the basement without a desk. I also have peripherals connected to it currently that I'd like use on other setups. It'd just make things a lot easier for me.

I started off by trying Windows Remote Desktop and it was nice that I could connect to the server without psychically going to it, but it has to log the server off first, requiring me to manually log it back on when done. I then read about Remote Assistance which doesn't log off the server PC but requires an invitation from the server. If only Windows combined those two features.

I'd really like to use just the Windows tools for this if at all possible. Perhaps with a registry edit? I did read about the unsolicited remote assistant registry edit that made it simpler to use RA but it still required having to click something on the server.

If I can't use the Windows tools, are there any other options that allow this?

Thanks in advance

Edit: This would be on my home network only.

Edited by ZimZoB214, 23 October 2016 - 01:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:09 AM

Why don't you use TeamViewer remote control/remote access software, free for personal use

Posted Image

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

I don't know that Windows Remote Assistance has an option to not require user acceptance.  I'd recommend setting your server to automatically log in and continue to use RDP.  When you get down with your RDP session run SHUTDOWN -R -T 1 to restart the machine.  That's how I handle my media machine.

#4 ZimZoB214

ZimZoB214
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:19 AM

I don't know that Windows Remote Assistance has an option to not require user acceptance.  I'd recommend setting your server to automatically log in and continue to use RDP.  When you get down with your RDP session run SHUTDOWN -R -T 1 to restart the machine.  That's how I handle my media machine.

That works perfectly. Thanks

#5 NTheZone

NTheZone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:26 PM

I know this may be coming in a bit late, but have you tried using any "Enable Multiple Concurrent User in Remote Desktop" tweaks; this may require updating a system DLL and an easy registry hack.  You could also try RDPWrap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users