Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes with no apparent reason

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:20 PM

Hi all, 

I recently built my own computer about 6 months ago. However since that time, it has been freezing randomly with no apparent cause. It has done this while I'm playing games, watching youtube videos and one time while idling. I have been monitoring my temps and are all in good and acceptable regions. 

SPECS:

MB - MSI Z170 SLI Plus

CPU - Intel i5-6500

RAM - Ripjaws V 2400

GPU - Sapphire R9 390

SSD - Samsung Evo 750

HD - WD Blue 1TB

I have brought it to two computer repair shops and both have found no problem with the computer. However it is still freezing. When it freezes, there is no BSOD. My keyboard and mouse are totally unusable and sometimes there is a soft buzzing or looping sound going on in my headphones if I was watching a video or gaming. The case and cpu fans are still working though. The only way to unfreeze it would be to hold the power button.

I have updated my drivers as well as my BIOS. Checking the event viewer after each freeze, there are the events 41, 1101 and 6008. There are some other events but I have no idea what they mean. Can anyone help me solve this issue? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:38 PM

These are the ZIP files. Please help me solve this problem, I have been having it for months now. Thank you very much! 

Attached Files

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:10 AM

Wait until the next freeze, recover from it, then please immediately run this report:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 1.70) dates from 2016.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.
There are numerous recent Windows Update failures in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

MSI Afterburner (along with EVGA Precision and Riva Tuner) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

As I haven't seen signs of repeated problems (relating to your description), I'd suggest starting with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please start with the video tests (as I suspect a video card problem), but complete ALL of the diagnostics and let us know the results.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:32 AM

Hi usasma,

So far my computer has not frozen yet. Temperatures are all fine while gaming as well as general use. 

Just to clarify with you, what do you mean by "There are numerous recent Windows Update failures in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report." Is this anything that I should be concerned about? Also, how do I manually check on windows updates? Sorry Im just not very good with Windows in general. 

Am currently running the diagnostic tests. Thank you for the help.

#5 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:11 PM

So far I've run several diagnostic tests. 

Tested both my HDD and SSD and are all in good conditions.

Ran furmark and reported the GPU temperatures stabilised at 80 degrees Celsius with the fans running as per my fan profile, so I suppose that it is fine. 

Intel Diagnostic Tool also passed.

I am now currently running MemTest for my RAM. However, it is showing that I am running a triple channel RAM configuration though I am only using a dual channel. There are also other settings on memtest that I do not understand. Is there anything to be concerned about? Here's a photo of the Memtest running.

Thanks in advance. 

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:14 AM

If the MemTest showed no errors after 3 passes, then I'm not concerned with it.

What happened with Prime95?  What about the other video tests?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:31 AM

Hi, just finished running memtest and there was no errors after 3 passes. Prime95 also showed no errors. I also did the memory video stress test without any errors also. 

#8 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:49 AM

Hi, I was just using Google Chrome and watching a few YouTube videos when my computer froze again. Did the event viewer log as you requested. 

One thing i noticed is that the Error ID 6008 reported that the unexpected system shutdown was at 5:26 pm. However, my computer froze at around 5:42pm. 

I tried pressing my keyboards caps lock button but it didnt light up. Does the event viewer show any issues or problems with my computer?

Attached Files

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:15 AM

The Admin log file is a collection of Critical, Error, and Warning messages from most of the logs in Event Viewer

What I look for in Event Viewer is a pattern that repeats.  I start with the Critical events as they are the most obvious signs of a problem (the system restarted).

Also, I've noticed that the times aren't always 100% accurate - but haven't had the time or inclination to research that.

If I don't find a repeating pattern, then I start to suspect a problem that occurs below the level that Windows Error Reporting can report.

Most often these are hardware, compatibility, or low-level driver problems.

That's why I often suggest hardware diagnostics when I don't find a pattern.

I did find a large number of disk errors at one point.

But they aren't a repeating event.

Regardlisee, you should run all of the hardware diagnostics from here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the hard drive tests, but run ALL of them (that you haven't run already) and let us know the results.

FYI - the Windows Update errors are simply that Windows Update couldn't complete it's job.

This means that you have to check it manually.

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:43 AM

Power Supply ? or connect PC to another Power Point and remove any Power Boards used .....just a thought ! ....any improvment ?

#11 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

usasma:

Hmmm so there's no obvious log in the event viewer suggesting whats the cause of the freezing? I will be continuing to do the diagnostic tests as you have said. 

For the HDD i've run both the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics as well as the Seatool for windows. Both passed my drives. Are they any other tests that I have missed out for the drives? 

Havachat: 

I've checked the psu when my pc freezes and the fan is still running. Is there any way to diagnose the psu even further? 

Unfortunately I've just shifted houses, so I'm using different powerpoints and is still freezing. Not using powerboards. 

Also, even though I'm not getting BSODs, should I run driver verifier? 

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 05:20 AM

I didn't find any repeating events to suggest what is to blame in the logs

Most often this means that the problem is below the level that Windows can detect.

That means:

- hardware

- compatibility

- low level drivers

As long as you ran the long/extended hard drive tests, those are all the tests that I suggest.

Nothing suggests that Driver Verifier is needed here.
BUT, there's no harm in running it.  And, on occasion, I've seen it pinpoint problems that we wouldn't have found elsewhere - even though it wasn't indicated.

In short, go ahead and run it if you'd like - please follow these instructions:  http;//www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Good luck!

#13 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

Alright i will try running driver verifier. However due to work commitments i wont be at home for about a week so i  wont be able to do any testing till then. 

Ive read in other places that decreasing the ram voltage can help solve some instances of random freezing. Should i try that? my ram is rated at 1.2V currently, which is the amount that gskills states too.

On a final note, if I cant find any particular problem after doing all the diagnostic tests, i guess ill have to start to rma my components one by one. Any specific component that you suspect could be causing this freezing? I can start by RMAing that component first.

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate you trying to help me solve this issue that has been stressing and bugging me out for many months now .

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2016 - 05:06 AM

I don't know anything about changing voltages.  I'd suggest checking with the experts in the Internal Hardware forums if you're interested in that:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

The next step if all the diagnostics pass is to try this procedure:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

#15 JonTheDriver

JonTheDriver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

Thanks very much for the other forum link, posted a topic there.

Alright I will follow the procedure stated there to get to the problem of this bugging problem. Thank you very much for your help and insight into my situation. Much appreciated. Will post something here if I find anything or have any further questions .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users