Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 txishome

txishome

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

[b]Could someone please tell me if it's difficult to install a wireless card into my desktop? I've never done anything like that before...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

No. It's not difficult. First, you need to check inside your computer to see if there is a place to put the wireless card. You need a free slot, and you're good to go. There are some tedious rules to follow: Do not touch anything inside the case while it's plugged in. (Not enough to just turn it off. ATX motherboards are always powered when plugged in.) Do not open the box and get out the card until you have discharged static electricity from your body. Touch the metal frame of the computer case first. Then, don't be shuffling around on a carpet.

It's usually easier to install a card with the case laying flat. Take off the back plate screw, line the card up carefully, press and wiggle it into place. Replace the screw. Attach the antenna.

Make sure to read the directions that come with the card - you probably need to do things in a specific order. You probably need to install the software after you install the card, but don't take it for granted.

Once installed, follow the directions to find the router and connect to it. It's a bit different for each brand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users