Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My memory is almost half full after reset

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

I have Dell Insprion z15 5523 ultrabook that i used for two years. I never had any problems, but i will reinstall windows for security measures. However i decided to reset it to factory settings first, Now it says that only 280 from 450 GB are free on my memory. How is that possible since nothing is installed except a few movies? Is something wrong or its just me being totally unaware. Once i preinstall the windows will it free more space (not that i need it, just wondering) I am with windows 8 after the reset..

Edited by hamluis, 23 October 2016 - 11:04 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Windows 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

Look in your c drive for a Windows.old file if it is there do a disk cleanup and select remove old windows installations..

Windows.old takes up sometimes 100GB

Note - you can not just delete this file unless you boot from a live CD like hirens of ubuntu.

Edited by pistol22cal, 23 October 2016 - 12:09 PM.

I Love Lamp!

#3 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:18 PM

pistol22cal i check i could not find it. Also i checked evey folder in my C: and Windows is only 30GB, there is nothing bigger than that?

#4 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

pistol22cal i checked the disk cleanup as you suggested, it says it could free up to 111GB of diskspace as you predicted, do i need to boot from live cd to clean this up?

Actually, since i am going to reinstall very soon, there will be no need of that, the reinstall will get rid of it i think :) Thanks for helping me figure that out

Edited by resertedlab, 23 October 2016 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users