Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

best way to get from Windows 7 to Windows 7SP1 with no install disc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Firetooth

Firetooth

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:20 PM

Hi I am trying to help a friend. She lost her install disc and needs to have her computer able to run some programs that require updating to SP1.I am not sure her install disc every had SP1 on it and she doesn't know either. The SP1 install option comes up on WU but it fails repeatedly. Otherwise her computer is working fine and all the updates that can be had in 7 alone are done.

She is willing to install everything individually but we don't know where to start. The Microsoft website is quite confusing and impossible at times, asking for a version of Explorer which we can't get unless we already have SP1. The main thing is to find a reliable place to get the updates. Or of course, if there is a faster way that would be great.

Thank you

Firetooth

Windows 7 64 bit Avast,  Malwarebytes, 

Edited by Firetooth, 22 October 2016 - 06:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:58 PM

Download the standalone installer for SP1.

• windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe - This application installs Sp1 to a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Read steps to follow before installing SP1

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2505743    See step 3 and make sure the three updates listed are installed.

Edit: After a successful update to SP1 you may have problems updating. I would recommend you first update to IE11 and .NET 4.61. Follow the instructions in the following link.

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 October 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#3 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

Thank you JohnC_21. We will try this approach and I will report back. We have been at this since 8am so will take a break, maybe until tomorrow.  

We looked at the installer earlier today but there were 10 files, most of them quite large and we weren't sure if we were supposed to install all of them, or if not, how to pick the correct one. Do you know how we should do this?

Thank you again. 

Firetooth

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,606 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:44 PM

When you click the download button it will give you a choice of multiple files as you said. In my previous post I noted the following

• windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe - This application installs Sp1 to a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2.

The above is the one you should download. Scroll the listing. It will be the second from the bottom. It's quite a large download, about 900MB.

#5 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:30 PM

Update. Prepared computer following all steps and tried to download the correct 903mb file. I used Chrome as my browser, The download was completed and then started over. There was no record of the download. The restarted versions was titled crdownload. I had another CR download from the day before (I found out it is a Chrome based file). It could not be opened or run.

I then tried to download the SP1 file in Windows Explorer (Version 8) but download denied.Since then I have been trying to update Windows Explorer but so far no luck. The version on the computer is 8. 10 and 11 require SP1 already functioning. 9  will not install because my"version of windows does not support it." Any advice helpful. Thank you.

Firetooth

Edited by Firetooth, 23 October 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,606 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

It's possible the download failed and tried to restart. I would download firefox portable and install to a folder on the desktop. Click the exe file in the folder to start firefox. In the Options select Addons and in the search box type downloadthemall. Install the extension. This is a download manager that can restart and still have a good copy. If the download stops you right click the file in the download them all manager and select resume.

Go to the SP1 download page, select your SP version and click next. A download window will open. Do not select save file.  Click the button next to dta once click.

#7 Firetooth

Firetooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:19 PM

Thank you JohnC_21. I will try this. I have to do some other work today so I may not get to it until tomorrow. I will continue to provide updates.

Firetooth

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,606 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:00 PM

Hopefully it will work out for you. If not I can download SP1, split it into manageable pieces, and upload them to Dropbox. I can then provide links for each piece then you can combine the pieces once all the pieces are downloaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users