Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AIK for Windows Vista SP2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:20 PM

I am confused.  If wanting to use a WinPE for "rescue disk" for using Macrium or EaseUS Todo or Paragon or AOMEI, we need AIK.   There is a download to install something but specified FOR S.P.1 of Windows Vista.  I am too confused about the process and of which file to download.  Computers here are Vista, SP2.

So far there is these:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9085

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5f30878b-0ad9-414e-9a51-6c4fa4a97ce4/windows-aik-for-vista-sp2?forum=itprovistadeployment

Further, one of those has Installation instruction, and THIS does not seem adequate, incomplete:

1. Click the Download button on this page to start the download.
  2. Click Save or Save this program to your computer. Windows AIK is distributed as an .img file.

3. Burn the saved img to a DVD.

4. Insert the DVD into the machine.

Edited by cafejose, 22 October 2016 - 06:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:41 PM

Here is the instructions for downloading the AIK for Vista using Aomei backupper. You mount the iso file using MagicIso and runt the program. Once you have the AIK installed then Aomei will be able to create the WinPE backup disk. 

You can also download the iso file and burn it to a DVD disk using Imgburn. Once the DVD is burned you can run it by clicking on the StartCD.exe file. The link to the AIK shown in the Aomei link is good for Windows 7 or Vista. 

http://www.backup-utility.com/help/aik.html

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:55 AM

JohnC_21

I found that one and another one both from the Microsoft downloads pages.

The one you told about in previous post:  KB3AIK_EN.iso of 1.7 Gigabytes, from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=5753

Another one found using a google search "aik vista sp2", and reference was made from a page leading to,.... lost track of the actual two web pages, but I also downloaded 6001.18000.080118-1840-kbaikl_en.iso of 1.3 Gigabytes.

They WERE BOTH from Microsoft download pages.  Is there a way to know which is for what differences?  They are obviously very different sizes, both seem related to Vista, but not sure now.

Started here:  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5f30878b-0ad9-414e-9a51-6c4fa4a97ce4/windows-aik-for-vista-sp2?forum=itprovistadeployment

Contained a link lead me to here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9085

I wish I knew exactly which should be used for Windows Vista sp2.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,631 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 07:58 AM

Download the one linked to on Aomei's page. It will work for both Windows 7 and Vista. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5753

Supported Operating System

Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

• • Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2
    Windows Vista SP1 
    • Windows Server 2008 family
    • Windows 7 family
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 family

You can still backup inside of windows and restore with the linux disk avoiding the large download. Just make sure your linux disk can detect all your hard drives including the external drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 October 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:28 PM

Thankyou.

I actually downloaded both of the ISO files.  I will just look again to see which is which.

The more recent reading I've done indicates that Macrium Reflect Free does not give the option to create linux-based rescue disk - just allows for the windowPE rescue disk creation.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,631 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:05 PM

You are correct. Macrium v6 does not have a linux option, sorry.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:03 PM

Another question on this:

Upon starting this ISO written to the DVD,... and waiting for about a minute, the interface opens and there is the second option, something about "setup", which will open an installer.  Then when clicking on this and waiting for more than 5 minutes and hearing a saw-like motion the whole time from the optical disc drive, there was finally presented another interface and several check boxes.  One of them is obvious enough but there are so many more.  Which checkboxes do I want or need, if I will later use Macrium or Paragon (or possibly AOMEI or EaseUs Todo) to create WinPE?   THAT'S THE QUESTION.

A comment:  The waiting after I clicked that second link in the first interface, for "Setup" and "Install" was so long, that with all the waiting and hearing the busy saw-sound, I used Task Manager to prepare to shut the AIK ISO file.  While the Task Manager was open and I clicked back and forth between a couple of its tabs, not yet having clicked to End the task, the second interface did open, and I saw all those different check boxes.   I closed the program anyway, to look at later, maybe tonight.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,631 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:45 PM

For the windows with all the checkbox's are you talking about the AIK iso file?

Can you post a screenshot?

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 October 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:50 AM

For the windows with all the checkbox's are you talking about the AIK iso file?

Can you post a screenshot?

The event went differently this time.  Inserted the dvd, autoplay dialog came up, picked "startCD.exe",  waited maybe a minute, Welcome window appeared, I picked the "...setup..." for "Install", waited maybe 5 minutes, no saw-like sound from the disk, Installation window came up .... I clicked to "Next", and waited maybe 4 or 5 minutes while installation occurred. 

There were no screens appearing showing any earlier described check boxes to answer.  Just a dialog saying that the installation is complete.

You asked for a screenshot showing these check boxes but I have none, and the installer for AIK tells me the installation is done.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,631 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

You should now be able to create the bootable media form Macrium or Aomei.

#11 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:26 PM

Thanks, JohnC_21.

My confusion about the checkboxes was from both finding trouble starting the startCD.exe, trying to close it and imperfectly viewing unclosed window from the installer, and in confusing AIK with ADK.  There are some videos on YouTube about setting up or insalling both AIK and ADK; and it is the ADK that will present the checkboxes.  (The ADK is intended for Windows 10.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users