Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Online Status

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FXtrader

FXtrader

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

Hello... !... ok.. simple question for those that would know.. I'm interested to know if there is a simple way of finding out for a non tech person like me if a friend is online or not..?.. no, not them using a particular program... just if they are currently connected to the internet or not...

I have no nasty intent at all, I have no interest in knowing what they are doing, or anything bad whatever.. does anyone know if this can be done easily.. ?

Thankyou... !

Mod Edit: Closed open tag. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 22 August 2006 - 09:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

Do you have their phone number? Email address? Call and ask or drop them a line and ask.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 FXtrader

FXtrader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

Thanks... I asked politely, and had hoped for something a little more helpful... but thanks anyway..

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:38 AM

To anwser your question not really...

If this person is using dial-up you could always call and if the line is busy they are on the internet...

One thing is Xfire. It's a program that your friend installs on there computer (and you too) and you can see if your friend is logged into xfire and also what game they are playing.

Other than that you can't really... Unless like buddy215 said you can always call

Hope that awnsers your question
Klink

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:50 AM

Else, you can both agree to login to one of the IMs available, which would show you both each's on-line status.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:46 PM

Further to jgweed's suggestion, if you both use GMail, you can set up IM by inviting them to chat from the contacts list on the left of your screen. If they agree, status will be shown by coloured lights beside their name. Green lights can chat.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users