Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using neighbors wireless for internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 kenw232

kenw232

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:10 PM

I want to get rid of my DSL internet here and use my neighbors internet to internet access.  he has one wireless router.  I can connect to it with my iPad or laptop from my place.  So now all I need to do is get my typical internet router (a TP Link Archer C9) to use his wireless feed as my WAN connection somehow.  How can I do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:49 PM

First of all you need your neighbour's permission otherwise it can be considered theft - you would after all be using some of the bandwidth he is presumably paying for.

Then all you need is his wifi access code.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:54 PM

Even with your neighbors permission, this would likely be considered theft.  The contract your neighbor has with his ISP almost certainly disallows this type of sharing.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 kenw232

kenw232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

ya, thanks for the useless comments from the do-gooders.  I'm looking for real responses, not nonsense.  anyone?

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:07 AM

A Moderator / A Malware expert - gave you a "Real Response" ....no nonsense there !

Even if your Neighbour approves this use of sharing his Wifi as said it would probably be against the Contracted Isp Service.

And also if and any illegal downloading on your behalf would then be his fault as the Service Owner.

If you need to do something behind Closed Doors ....thats your option.

But you cant ask an Establishment or Others how to do it , without them then being Accountable to the Fact.

If you need real responses then a General Google will give you the Answer , and that wont implicate other parties trying to assist you.

Most times people dont like an honest answer to a question when provided.......Thats Life. 

#6 Thomas_JK

Thomas_JK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

ya, thanks for the useless comments from the do-gooders.  I'm looking for real responses, not nonsense.  anyone?

You didn't mention, if you had your neighbors consent, (probably would still be against the Contracted ISP Service) or if you were planning to steal his bandwidth, and then run your mouth at people who pointed that out in their responses... nice behaviour.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

This topic has run its course and is now closed. Any problems, send me a PM.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users