Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help detaching items from MB

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

I do feel quite silly asking this, however, this was the first time I have ever taken a laptop apart..so be nice!  :)  I have a Compaq C62 laptop that is 5 or 6 years old.  I had to replace the original battery a few years ago, other than that, I've not have many problems with it.  I would shut it down or hibernate and the fan would just keep running - probably because the new battery was a heavy duty one and made things even hotter?  I tried to boot it up about a week ago and got nothing but the black screen, caps lock flashing and the wi-fi led lit up constantly.  I tried everything but getting the hair dryer out and heating it back up :)  Then I read where the CMOS battery could interfere with the BIOS even getting started.  Since it had never been replaced, I figured "How hard can it be to replace a battery?"  Hahaha  Lesson learned!!

I've got it torn down completely....except for 2 things that need to be detached from the MB....but they are different than the other connections...the kind that have a lip that flips up to release the ribbon.  I know that one of them is wired to the touchpad and the other I am not positive....it may connect to the fan?  I really want to get this thing put back together....but can't get the MB out without detaching these last 2 things.  Hope the pics help....thanks for the help!!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:32 PM

Manual

Louis

#3 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:02 PM

Thank you Louis!  Every time I tried to get it from the HP site yesterday, I got errors :)   On pg 81, the 1 and 2 appear to be one of the ones I am talking about.  However, they don't really say HOW to remove them...it simply says to disconnect it.  Thanks for your help!

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

PurrrdyGurl

Follow the link below...

A. Refer to steps 10, 11, 12 for keyboard cable removal/replacement

B. Refer to steps 15, 16 for touchpad cable removal/replacement

Have patience and please take your time, use a gentle touch when working with these type connectors!

No brute force is necessary!

Old Rocker

#5 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

Hi Old Rocker....that could be me too!  :)  Is this your site??

#6 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

If it is your site...THANK YOU!  That is the site that I used to disassemble the laptop!  Great job BTW....I donated this morning :)  I finally managed to get the one loose that I needed to, in order to change the battery. YAY!  Now the fun part....putting it all back together :bananas:

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:49 AM

PurrrdyGurl

I am pleased to read of your success. The steps displayed on the website can be used in reverse order to get your laptop assembled.

Oh by the way the website I referred you to is not mine, but I'm sure the website owner appreciates your donation.

Please keep the BC community abreast of your progress!

Old Rocker

#8 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:21 AM

OR....(may I call you "OR"?) LOL nice play on words! :) I am stuck again though! Sigh....instead of just taking the leads off of the wireless card, I unscrewed it and moved it out of the way when I was taking it apart. Now I can't for the life of me figure out what it plugs back into! I've hunted videos down on Youtube and have looked at the pics on that site, as well as pouring over the manual....I am still not seeing what exactly it plugs into. I sure don't mind donating to someone who puts that much effort into helping others :) Off I go.....to keep hunting, it has to be out there somewhere LOL Thank you again for taking the time to try and help me....it is much appreciated :)

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:39 AM

Hi PurrddyGurl,

Have a look on page 51 of the manual. Looks like the wireless card should go somewhere around where the memory is located. From the looks of the manual you have to pop off the plastic back that allows access to the memory, and you should then see two little leads (one black one white) and then a slot that looks exactly like the end of the wireless card. Once you pop that card in you should have one screw to hold it into place, you then pop on the black and white leads. Follow the picture on which side of the wireless card to hook the black and white leads to (picture on page 54).

Hopefully that helps you out some!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#10 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

Yes!  I finally got it arranged so that it does slip right into it's proper place!  Thank you for your help...I am taking the night off tho! LOL  I'll get back to it in the morning.  I am definitely more at home on the software side of things :)  It's good to step out of that box right?  Thanks again, I appreciate you!

#11 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 08:46 AM

PurrrdyGurl

An adventuroes attitude will enhance your knowledge one way or the other; good or bad!

If you have any other issues, don't be afraid to ask.

The BC community is always willing to offer assistance.

Betcha someday you will be helping someone out with a software issue!

Old Rocker

#12 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

Hehe  I couldn't agree with you more!  Adventurous am I  :)

I got it all put back together, mb wise...everything hooked up etc, I just have the 2 back covers still off....and I am shocked when I push that power button!  I was impressed that it showed even a slight sign of life, but saddened to realize that I was right back to square 1 :(    The WLAN button is lit amber and the caps lock just has a continuous blink, maybe every 3 seconds.  It doesn't go in any kind of pattern, no stopping and starting. 

I'm not sure where to go from here.  I would like to be able to retrieve the hard drive stuff, just not sure where to start with that.  I have an older machine that is a desktop, it still has XP on it! LOL  I'd have to look at the specs for Win7 to see if that old dinosaur could handle it.  Would I be able to load the disc from the junk laptop...like transfer it?  Thanks again for your help....I SOOO wanted it to boot right up! 

#13 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

I have been pretty faithful when backing my stuff up, thank goodness :)  I am now on the exact same make/model of laptop as the dead one (it was my hubs, tho he seldom used it, it is still like brand new)....I did a total recovery to start from scratch.  I ran Avira on my Seagate drive that contains all of my back-up info.  It found 5 instances of "4shared_desktop_4.0.3.1.exe' contained the pattern of 'PUA/4Shared.eonb'".  Then I ran MWbytes and it too found something as well.  Maybe my problem is virus related? 

#14 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:27 PM

One way of getting the data off an hard drive is to get an external powered, USB connected drive bay. About $20. USD.  Added to any other operating unit and the files should be easily read by the then HOST computer.  

#15 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:07 PM

Thanks mjd....I ended up spending the weekend with my IT friends...who just happened to have a disc dock that he let me borrow :)  I was bummed to discover that the new laptop is a step down, on several levels.  Again, thanks for the suggestion :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users