Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think something's wrong with my WMI repository?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LovelyRain

LovelyRain

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:46 PM

This issue started with Avast not being recognised by windows, claiming I need to turn it or Windows Defender on (choosing Avast does nothing) while Avast still appears to be functional on it's end. After looking it up I was suggested to try in the CMD

"winmgmt /verifyrepository"

Rather than getting that it's consistent or inconsistent I got 

WMI repository verification failed
Error Code: 0x80041002
Facility: WMI
Description Not found

Following this trail lead to also seeing hundreds of DCOM 1084 errors in the event viewer that started apparently 7th Oct (15 days ago) that I never noticed. After looking around I think the WMI/Repository is to blame but i'm don't trust myself to blindly jump into something I didn't know existed until a few hours ago. Another note is that another site suggested I try system restore before this started. While I can system restore before Avast started having conflicts. I can't system restore before the mass DCOM 1084 errors in the event viewer started. Infact they started an hour before the last System restore point I have if that means anything.

I've also checked to see if my hard disk was dying (it's fine) and scanned in safe mode with Malwarebytes which turned up nothing.

I don't know where to approach this from or even what to do if I knew what was wrong mostly since other places where I look that share symptoms appear to be cases where the system won't boot at all or is suffering many crashes/unresponsiveness  Currently my system runs fine aside from the Action Center not acknowledging Avast.

Help would be vastly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:02 PM

Have you try to rebuild the  WMI repository with  winmgmt  /salvagerepository command.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 LovelyRain

LovelyRain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the response. Like "winmgmt /verifyrepository",  winmgmt /salvagerepository just gives me

WMI repository verification failed
Error Code: 0x80041002
Facility: WMI
Description Not found

Edited by LovelyRain, 22 October 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:20 PM

You can reset the WMI repository to to the initial state when the operating system is first installed. Execute winmgmt /resetrepository command after this command finish restart your computer.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 LovelyRain

LovelyRain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:35 PM

the initial state when the operating system is first installed. 

I'm curious, since I'm not entirely sure what the repository does. But how will this reflect the state of my system once it's done? What's gonna be different? Several other pages made it sound like this is a last resort move and I wonder if I need to back up anything before I try this.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

Visit below link.

WMI: Repository Corruption, or Not?

2GvnEq2.gif

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:01 AM

Hi LovelyRain,

Have you resolve the WMI repository error?

2GvnEq2.gif

#8 LovelyRain

LovelyRain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 12:54 PM

Hi LovelyRain,

Have you resolve the WMI repository error?

Sorry for the late response, other issues came up. I ran the command and Avast is recognised by the system and the event viewer doesn't show the 1084 error so far.

winmgmt /verifyrepository also returns that it is consistent. Thank you for your assistance!

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:04 PM

You are welcome, i'm glad to know i help resolve your computer issue!

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users