Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0xc00000e9 and Black Screen boot with SSD connected

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Erik94

Erik94

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

Hello, guys!

Recently I've bought a new PC and successfully installed Windows 8.1.
After a few installations of software (vlc, utorrent...) I've tried to update my drivers from an official motherboards website and had a blue error screen, after that I can't even get into login screen, windows just won't load 

"an unexpected i/o error has occurred 0xc00000e9"

I've tried to boot from usb with my windows 8.1, but after Asrock (motherboard) logo (sometimes even without it ) it is just a blank screen.
I can't get into safe mode either ( don't know how. F8 won't work ). First time I've managed to do this while booting the same usb, but now it won't work.

I've tried to install windows 10 on usb and oh yes... it booted after almost 2-3 hours of waiting and everything was very slow. I could not install it due to mbr error. Windows sees my SSD and HDD, so they must be fine, right?

So I installed a new copy of windows 10 into my usb ( gpt, fat32 ).

And... now I can't get past black screen after booting. I see basic screen with windows 10 + memory test. I select windows 10 install or recovery tools, I see Asrock logo and... black screen.

Same with windows 7. "Windows is loading files" and then there is just a black screen.

My motherboard is Asrock z170 Pro4s.

Hiren's:
Warning: the high memory area (HMA) is not available.
Additional low memory (below 640k) will be used instead.
Creating 64Mb Ram Drive as R:
Bad command or file name
Bad command or file name
Bad command or file name
Bad command or file name
Bad command or file name
Bad command or file name
Label not found.
R:\>

I tried to remove SSD and windows boot installation is working fine with hdd only.

I did mem test previously and it resulted with no problems found.

Tried to replace sata for ssd with the old one, still have this problem.
SSD is seen through UEFI, so cable must be stable, right? I am not good at this :/

What should I test with UBCD?

I might sound dumb, but I think that the main problem is somehow related to ssd read spead maybe? If it loaded that windows installer after a very long period of time ( a few hours ) and was very slow, maybe I should try to buy a new sata cable?

ViVARD SSD Diagnosis resulted in 0% errors found on SSD.

Help me please, I don't know what to do.

I am very sorry for my english.

Best,
Erik

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

The downloaded-updated drivers are modifications to the BIOS.  Power down, pull the plug and remove the CMOS battery and leave out for two minutes.  Replace the battery and power up as normal.  The BIOS is stored in firmware, that is, it can't be changed. A ROM.  It unloads into a flash BIOS chip that can be modified.  That's where the updates messed things up. The unit should boot to the default settings and then bring up the BIOS screen to reset the date and time.   

#3 Erik94

Erik94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:14 AM

The downloaded-updated drivers are modifications to the BIOS.  Power down, pull the plug and remove the CMOS battery and leave out for two minutes.  Replace the battery and power up as normal.  The BIOS is stored in firmware, that is, it can't be changed. A ROM.  It unloads into a flash BIOS chip that can be modified.  That's where the updates messed things up. The unit should boot to the default settings and then bring up the BIOS screen to reset the date and time.   

The problem still exists :/

Edited by Erik94, 23 October 2016 - 02:14 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

Input/Output errors...IME, typically indicate a problem between the hard drive and the motheboard.  First thing I would do is remove all connections to the hard drive...then reconnect and reboot.  The connectors may have merely become loosened with time and use.

If error persisted...I would first change the cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard, using a new cable.

If they still persisted, I would run a hard drive diagnostic on the drive.

If this truly is a new system...I would not do anything other than RMA the system...new systems can be expected NOT to have such problems.

Louis

#5 Erik94

Erik94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

What is RMA?

Okay, I have installed Windows 10 on HDD and connected SSD back.

Win10 runs slower with SSD connected and some apps ( ssd scan + driver update ) won't work. Without SSD everything is fine.

Launch from SSD still results in i/o error

I somehow need to update drivers for SSD now :/. Some people were having a similar issue related to drivers.

UPD: Everytime on windows launch from HDD I see 

Scanning and repairing drive (D:)

when ssd is connected

Edited by Erik94, 23 October 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#6 Erik94

Erik94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:46 PM

2vnh1d0.png

Is it bad or ok?

SMART resulted in GOOD

Edited by Erik94, 23 October 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#7 Erik94

Erik94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:28 AM

Ok, I have managed to format Raw to NTFS and now windows is loading fine from HDD. Software also is working better now + I see my SSD from My Computer.

Tried to boot from USB with SSD first in priority, still black screen.

Adata soft test resulted in 100% good for both HDD and SSD

And I still see i/o error while booting from SSD. SSD was formated.

What the...

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:00 AM

If a partition/drive shows up as RAW, that's a problem ..I suspect that was your problem.

RAW Hard Drive - http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

RAW Volume (Quietman) - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36698

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users