Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some guidance with upgrades

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 techytora

techytora

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

Okay so I'm not the best of the best at this but I know all the components and what plugs into what. I'm looking to improve my performance in gaming from about medium settings on most blockbuster games to high/ultra. I built this computer from scratch with my younger brother. The parts are as follows:

Motherboard: msi A68HI AC mini ITX (working on it is hard because of tight spacing I'd like to go full sized and one of the RAM channels died)

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad core 3.7GHz 

RAM: 4GB of Hyper X Fury (was 8GB until a lane died)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti FTW edition

Power Supply: EVGA 750w semi modular 

Hard Drive: Western Digital Blue 1TB

I'm looking for tips and suggestions to help guide to towards smart upgrades for this computer, it will primarily be for gaming. If you need more information just ask.

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2016 - 01:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:59 PM

Budget? Case?

About only thing you can upgrade is graphic card. AMD RX 480 is about maximum I would suggest.

Another option is to sell everything except PSU and hard disk, and buy new parts. If you have no hurry, AMD Zen will bring something new about 3 months. And that should affect pricing also.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 22 October 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#3 techytora

techytora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

Using the Deepcool Dukase, I'm willing to upgrade whatever. Budget is about $700-$1300

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

So you have ATX case, good enough PSU, HDD and $700-$1300 to spend.

Basically you have enough budget for high end machine. I would suggest to wait until beginning of next year (January/February) as then there should be competition on every price range on CPU's and GPU's. Meaning better value for money.

You can also build high end machine right away. Or you can just beef up current machine with bit better GPU and wait for next year.

You have many alternatives.

#5 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

If it were me I would upgrade the mobo and processor to something like an Asus M5A97 Pro and grab an FX 8320/8350 and a GTX 1060 or RX 470. At least that way you could likely still use your old ram and also add another 8GB of the idential modules are still out there being sold. That way you can actually use 16GB of memory if you wanted (per your mention of a broken mem lane on your current mobo), and the GPU would be more than strong enough to transfer over later to a new Zen build, or Intel build later on down the road.

So in your case, my upgrade would be:

Asus M5A97 Pro

AMD FX 8320 (OC to about 4.4)

Hyper 212 cooler

16GB of ram (something like a DDR3 1600-1866 kit from Gskill)

RX 470

This system would get you high settings, sometimes ultra with good framerates on new games at 1080p.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users