Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Parity Error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SirRoberts

SirRoberts

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

I put my desktop to sleep last night. When I woke up the PC I got the following blue screen

*** HARDWARE MALFUNCTION

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity Check / memory parity Error

*** The system has halted ***

So I powered the PC off, than back on, the PC got to the Windows initial boot-up screen (without any motherboard warning "beeps") than the memory error screen shows up again.

My first thought (of course) is that one of the memory modules is bad. 

Trouble shooting
1) Removed and re-seated all four memory sticks (modules) in the same slots. No good.
2) Moved the sticks to different slots. No good.
3) Tried just two of the memory sticks at a time. No good.
4) Checked Bios and I could not find any memory issues there.
5) Removed and re-seated network card, video card, and sound. No good.

In the past I have had issues with the memory, however those issues were corrected after I pulled and re-seated the memory. With regards to those errors I did get the motherboard warning "beeps".
window_startup_screen.gif

Questions
1) If the memory was bad wouldn't the Bios indicate an issue?
2) If the memory was bad would it still be able to boot-up to the Windows screen?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:36 PM

Try removing your video card and using the onboard video. It might be the video card memory.

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:39 PM

"Questions
1) If the memory was bad wouldn't the Bios indicate an issue?"
No - it's possible I suppose - but I've never seen a memory problem indicated by the BIOS - apart from total memory failure where the BIOS does not even see the memory stick(s) in question

"2) If the memory was bad would it still be able to boot-up to the Windows screen?"
Yes - it can be possible to boot a PC into Windows & run it for a while before a memory fault causes a terminal error.

You need to get something like Memtest86+ & use it test all your RAM sticks & motherboard RAM slots individually to try & locate the problem.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:35 PM

Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152

Louis

#5 SirRoberts

SirRoberts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

Thank you for you reply.  Your the first one out of 5 other forums that answered my questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users