Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about CYMK Printer Cartridges

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:16 AM

My current printer has 2 Cartridges, Black and Colour.

I'm considering buying a New printer.

But this New printer has CYMK 4 Cartridges.

When the printer needs to be refilled with new cartridges, must all the four be refilled?

Because I understand that some are optional??

I have searched on Google, but I can't find which of the C, Y, M and K Cartridges are optional.

So my question is, which of the C, Y, M and K Cartridges are optional to buy and to be refilled when it's empty?

K of CYMK is Black colour, so I know that at least the K Cartridge is compulsory.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:59 AM

Personally, I would avoid HP printers and either look at Epson or Canon. In many cases if one of the color cartridges are empty you need to replace the empty cartridge before the printer will print again. You do not need to purchase the other color cartridges if only one is empty. You should have a ink sensor that tells you how much ink is in each cartridge. The printer will have a support site where you can download the manual. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/hardware/hp-accused-of-sabotaging-non-hp-ink-cartridges/

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:05 AM

Most printers require there to be ink in all 4 cartridges (or tanks) otherwise they will refuse to print. You need only replace a cartridge when that particular cartridge is empty - so if the yellow is empty then you need only to replace the yellow - the other cartridges will carry on until they are actually empty (or more accurately until the printer decides they are empty, or possibly on some printers out of date).

Cyan magenta & yellow are what is in your current printer colour cartridge, & if any of these colours had run out the printer would be unable to print colour images correctly (on older printers this is how you knew to replace a colour cartridge - because the colours were all wrong)

Edited by rqt, 22 October 2016 - 09:07 AM.

#4 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

Thank you both for replying to this topic. :)

I'm interested in Brother HL-L8250CDN

This printer has CYMK 4 Cartridges and is a Colour Laser printer.

My question is if it's possible to only print with the K Cartridge and otherwise K Cartridge + X where X is one of the other C/M/Y Cartridge.

So can I print with only using 1 or 2 Cartridges of the 4 in total? (CYMK Printer)

#5 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:31 AM

You can only print in colour if ALL the toner colours are present(Cyan Magenta Yellow & blacK). If you don't want to print in colour save money by buying a monochrome laser printer.

Edited by rqt, 22 October 2016 - 10:34 AM.

#6 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:53 AM

Thank you for replying. :)

My question is if it's possible to print ONLY in Black with a Colour Laser printer with only the K Cartridge equipped?

#7 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:20 AM

I already found the answer :lol:

According to this site => http://www.brother.co.nz/Public/ViewProduct/HLL8250CDN

It is possible to print ONLY in Black if the Colour Cartridges are empty for Brother HL-L8250CDN

So when it's empty, I just leave it in the printer, and I select "Mono" printing.

I still don't know if i am going to buy it, because I can also print at school, at school it's very cheap / inexpensive to print. :graduate:

Thank you both for your time.

Cheers,

DefaultGateway

#8 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

I already found the answer :lol:

According to this site => http://www.brother.co.nz/Public/ViewProduct/HLL8250CDN

It is possible to print ONLY in Black if the Colour Cartridges are empty for Brother HL-L8250CDN

So when it's empty, I just leave it in the printer, and I select "Mono" printing.

I still don't know if i am going to buy it, because I can also print at school, at school it's very cheap / inexpensive to print. :graduate:

Thank you both for your time.

Cheers,

DefaultGateway

Cyan Magenta Yellow Black is CMYK (source: graphic design job) 

yes you can tell your printer to only print in K(black) once you have installed your driver software, in the settings you can change it to "Black only" or "Black with minimal color" 

Edited by Viper_Security, 22 October 2016 - 01:06 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#9 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for replying. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic