Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is your opinion on the Anti-Malware tool EMCO Malware Destroyer?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:30 AM

Hi all!

Recently while searching for new Anti-Malware tools to try subsequently in order to clean my computer for malware, I came across EMCO Malware Destroyer.

And hence, now I am wondering;

What is your opinion on the Anti-Malware tool EMCO Malware Destroyer?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:22 AM

I have seen it advertised on Major Geeks and other third-party hosting sites but write ups and reviews never impressed me.

EMCO Malware Destroyer by Softpedia

...To start with, you should note that it does not provide active protection, heuristic scans or an active shield of some sort. This utility will only search for baddies currently loaded in the memory or running processes that are infected...Malware Destroyer is designed for manual virus checks and the fast scans recommend it, but bear in mind that it is mainly aimed at non-techy users and will only provide an occasional supplemental layer of protection.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

The latest database update was on 28 Sep 16, this is far too long ago for an antimalware tool during this day and age. It does not seem like it would be very effective in my opinion. Stick to EEK, ESET online scanner, MBAM, and other free removal tools from antivirus companies.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 762 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:15 AM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Understood. While trying it I noticed that the scanning engine offers extra fine-grained settings, unlike normal Anti-Malware tools which offer fewer settings.

Personally, I read about it over at thewindowsclub.com.

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 762 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

Hi, xXToffeeXx!

The latest database update was on 28 Sep 16, this is far too long ago for an antimalware tool during this day and age. It does not seem like it would be very effective in my opinion. Stick to EEK, ESET online scanner, MBAM, and other free removal tools from antivirus companies.

Yeah, you posted a minute before me, but as you can see in my signature, I try many standalone Anti-Malware tools, but thanks for the heads-up anyway! :busy:

Thank you!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 22 October 2016 - 09:11 AM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

There are many less known similar tools...most of them are a waste of time. The most effective tools are always noted here by our experts.

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 762 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:57 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

OK. I just want to make sure that my computer is free from malware, and the fact that each Anti-Malware tool has its own database means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

Thank you again!

Regards,

midimusicman79

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

...the fact that each Anti-Malware tool has its own database means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed...

Yes but at some point the redundancy makes such efforts futile for most folks.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:15 PM

There are many less known similar tools...most of them are a waste of time. The most effective tools are always noted here by our experts.

This.

Honestly midimusicman, BleepingComputer might not be the place for you to create a thread every week about a different tool. You might want to check out Wilders Security forums because they are all about that. They post about every single tool and program that exists and the discussions can last for pages. If I were you, I would head over there to check it out and post your threads over there :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 762 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

Hi, quietman7 & Aura!

For the record, I have asked specifically about seven Anti-Malware tools, to include FreeFixer, Runscanner, 9-lab Removal Tool BETA, Norton Power Eraser, ProtectU, (Norton Security Scan (albeit not really an Anti-Malware tool)) and EMCO Malware Destroyer. :thumbup2:

I admit that I should not have asked about the three last mentioned tools, so with that said I will refrain from asking this kind of questions because it obviously does not serve any purpose anymore.

I apologize if I have wasted your time as that certainly was not my intention. Rather, I thought it would be interesting to seek you experts' opinion on standalone Anti-Malware tools as I myself am a novice. :busy:

As for the suggestion about Wilders Security forums, it would be somewhat unnecessary as I would not like to discuss such said tools forever either, because like I said I just wanted your opinion.

Thank you once again!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 24 October 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

As for the suggestion about Wilders Security forums, it would be somewhat unnecessary as I would not like to discuss such said tools forever either, because like I said I just wanted your opinion.

I can sum it up for you: we don't really have an opinion about any unknown and/or less popular tools. Only those that have been around for a while and/or have proven themselves over the years.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users