Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How to CHOOSE what's cleaned up after Avast scan.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ulrichburke2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:41 AM

Dear Anyone.

I've got Avast Free.  I did a scan with it and it came up with a list of 'issues' - no viruses - bad reputation plug-ins (I know about that one and it's fine by me!) outdated software and performance issues.

Now the only one I want to change is the 'Performance Issues'.  I'm happy for Avast to fix that, but I don't want the others touched - I like my cobwebby software, Hola Better Internet (that's the plug-in nothing likes!) and my password-for-everything.  But I can't find anything to let me CHOOSE what gets fixed and I don't want to click on 'Resolve All' because it could cripple all my software (and my Hola). 

And I've been on the Avast forum - slight side issue, sorry - and it won't let me post.  Sign in, yes, it recognises me after that - but there's nothing saying 'Post New Topic' or similar anywhere, that's why I came here. 

Is there a way to CHOOSE what Avast Free changes/cleans up after a scan?

Yours hopefully

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:30 AM

If Avast found No Viruses , i would go to add/remove and select repair Avast , and remove the software updater and Performance one.

These are in my opinion not required and I class as Bloatware Crap.....they enhance nothing.

Just use Avast for what its good at , Blocking and Removing Viruses. 

Edited by Havachat, 22 October 2016 - 04:17 PM.

#3 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,735 posts
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:55 AM

I agree.

avast! includes a built-in integrated Browser Cleanup Tool that can be used to find/remove unwanted toolbars and plug-ins from your browser. IMO it is not very effective so I would disable it. In Programs & Features (Add/Remove), choose avast > Repair...on the Configuration screen, under Components, uncheck Browser Cleanup and click Next. You can also uncheck any other features you don't want to install or change the language from here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users