Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast and AVG Takeover

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sigord

Sigord

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:38 AM

Months ago AVAST was supposed to have taken over AVG, but as a long term user of AVG I have heard nothing as to how they proposes to combine the two, and I will be expected to renew my AVG next December. Another problem is I changed from AVAST to AVG years ago because AVAST was so far as I know the only AV issuing silly heuristic warnings when running any of my programs created with

http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcbasic.html

Has anyone discovered what is happening? I am tempted not to risk AVAST again and use McAfee instead especially as unlike AVG the McAfee does not charge extra to also install it on more than one PC etc. Your comments on any of this would be very welcome.

Gordon

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2016 - 06:53 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:49 AM

Avast Confirms Acquisition of Rival AVG (AVG)

http://www.investopedia.com/news/avast-confirms-acquisition-rival-avg-avg/

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:02 AM

From the horse's mouth...Avast Press Release.....Avast Closes Acquisition of AVG Technologies

QUOTE:

Avast plans to create more and better products that will defend against the growing number of threats in the market. The company will continue to offer both the AVG and Avast branded products for the foreseeable future and to support all customers and partners for both product lines.

"We want our customers to be reassured that whether you use an AVG product or an Avast product, we will continue to support you. We are nothing without our customers and partners who have helped us get to where we are today," said Vince Steckler.

As a result of the acquisition, Avast holds approximately 87.3% of AVG's outstanding shares acquired upon the closing of the initial offering period for the tender offer. Avast also announced that it has commenced a subsequent offering period to provide AVG shareholders who have not yet tendered their shares the opportunity to do so. The subsequent offering period is scheduled to expire at 11:59 p.m., New York City time, on October 14, 2016, unless extended. As described below, Avast plans to voluntarily delist AVG's shares from the New York Stock Exchange promptly following the subsequent offering period.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:54 AM

Thanks so far I have not have any trouble with my AVG apart from the usual ICON no longer showing on the bottom right of this Win 7 toolbar. But then the reports appears to show they do not intend to combine AVG and AVAST together at least for some time. So it seems to be nothing more than just another greedy takeover by fat cats. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:13 AM

At some point a version update will most likely be necessary to incorporate any changes for AVG users.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:13 AM

I would think the AVG Icon should still show up. You should check if it is actively running in the background or not.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 russ0408

russ0408

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:41 PM

AVG does have very good detection lately. I think it will be good for Avast, I just just hope Avast gets rid of all the add crap that is AVG. Although Avast is no angel when it comes to adds in their software. It will be interesting to see. 

#8 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 02:09 AM

Thanks I managed to restore the AVG icon among the bottom right Icons, but I had to reinstall AVG and they insist on giving me a new PW. The problem of the icon failing to display maybe due to the old Drive on this Win 7 or me keep clicking on the Icon to open AVG instead of a large AVG Icon.

My only complaint about AVG is they keep pestering me to use and buy their risky PC cleaner. When I tried it the links to a lot of Windows updates were damaged.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 05:57 AM

...My only complaint about AVG is they keep pestering me to use and buy their risky PC cleaner...

That's one reason I no longer recommend AVG.

BTW, an offer of free anti-virus or anti-malware software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (Premium/Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version or purchase other products.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those annoying pop-ups and ads. In some cases you may be able to disable them through the program's settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such an option listed, then your only alternative is to switch to another product if the pop-up and ads annoy you that much.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 06:31 AM

The programs below will remove the adware that AVG installs along with its FREE version. That may not include the nag screen to purchase AVG. Just the

other crapware/ adware. I will include the instructions for using and posting results IF malware is also found.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Double-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).

• Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.
  • Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.
  • Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.
  • If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).
  • When MBAM is finished scanning it will display a screen that displays any malware that it has detected.
  • Click the Remove Selected button.
  • MBAM will now delete all of the files and registry keys and add them to the programs quarantine. When removing the files, MBAM may require a reboot in order to remove some of them. If it displays a message stating that it needs to reboot, please allow it to do so.
  • While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

POST THE LOG FOR  REVIEW.

Download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Scan button.
  • When the scan has finished click on Clean button.
  • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
  • download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

#11 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:15 AM

Thanks guys. I do use Ccleaner. If I decide to remove AVG anytime what other AV would you suggest, preferably one that does not expect me to pay extra to install it on 2 or 3 PCs.

I am still suspicious all the programs I created with http://www.bbcbasic.co.uk/bbcbasic.html might be blocked again by AVAST one day as in the past. All my efforts are free to download from my site including much of the Code.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:24 AM

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure and revenue generator. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software (and annoying prompts to upgrade) except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

#13 Sigord

Sigord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

Thanks a friend of mine just uses the Free Windows Defender.

But I thought that can only give you  minimal protection.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:02 AM

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a robust version of Windows Defender for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups.

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution for maximum protection.

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

Windows 7 users can use MSE instead of W7 Windows Defender. I download and install the definitions EXE weekly+-.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users