Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How does windows system backup store the data on the destination harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gregaryb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:07 AM

Does it do the 'photocopy' type thing like Norton Ghost or does it create an image file that can co-exist with other data on the destination hard drive?

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2016 - 06:54 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging/Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,118 posts
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

It creates a folder with a number of files on the drive you using to backup the image file.  Though I have never had any failures with Windows System Backup you may find that third party imaging programs provide better options. I am talking about Windows 7 System Image backup. Windows 10 File History may be different

Macrium Free  Does full system, differential and incremental backup

Aomei Backupper   Does full system and file backup, also differential and incremental backup

Easeus Todo Backup. Does full system and file backup, also differential and incremental backup

#3 RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,446 posts
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:06 PM

Acronis True Image is a very good pay-for program; however, I recommend free to start; and there are many free programs.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 MDD1963

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:46 PM

Any of the 3 listed above will do anything anyone would typically want.....

Each is easy to use.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users