Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Upgrade Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GToledo

GToledo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

I upgraded my Satellite A-75 laptop from XP- home to XP-pro. I used an upgrade install and only installed partly. So I did a clean install, with a formatted HD. I made a backup of all my volume on a Western digtal external HD. I used the backup software provided with the drive, Dantz retrospect express. After doing the upgrade I tried to restore from the backup. Here is where the problem began. Retrsopect does not read the backup file. All the files are there, 19.2 Gigabytes. I tried getting their tecnical assistance, but to no avail.
Can any one help me to decipher this enigma!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:36 PM

I don't know if Dantz Retrospect will restore data backed up from XE Home to XE Pro.

The filing systems and software differ between Home and Pro, but you should be able to enter, read and transfer from the backup files themselves.

Connect the external drive, find the backup files and open them, then use Windows Explorer to copy and paste or drag the data manually.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 August 2006 - 07:39 PM.

#3 GToledo

GToledo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

I don't know if Dantz Retrospect will restore data backed up from XE Home to XE Pro.

The filing systems and software differ between Home and Pro, but you should be able to enter, read and transfer from the backup files themselves.

Connect the external drive, find the backup files and open them, then use Windows Explorer to copy and paste or drag the data manually.

I can copy them, drag them but the only program that's suggested to open them is Retrspect. So am in the same bin.

#4 GToledo

GToledo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 07:53 PM

Problem solved, but I'll switch to another backup software. Dantz does not support via e-mail anymore.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:40 AM

What was the solution?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 GToledo

GToledo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

What was the solution?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Ups soory about that. I had to rebild the backup from the retrospect tools utility, but i had to selct the disk (my external HD) rather than the file.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

If you want to try a great way to backup try Acronis True Image. You will find it excellent.

http://www.acronis.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users