Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iphone 6 plus help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 John888

John888

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:29 PM

Hi

when i try to plug in my iphone 6 plus with the USB cord it only seems to be recognized on itunes. since i want to import pictures onto my computer. i would like it to be recognized on files explorer but for some reason it wont connect on file explorer. why is this happening and how can i find a solution? it was working good be for getting the microsoft windows update. in device and printers it has it as unknown devices. i have a HP desktop computer that come with windows 10 64 bit home  thank you for any help on this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:18 AM

Try unlocking the iPhone before plugging the cable into it.

x64

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

Are you receiving the Trust this computer message on the phone?

#4 John888

John888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

Hi Kilroy 

sorry i do not see that come up. 

#5 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:09 PM

iPhones do not mount like a hard drive. You are meant to manage their files in the iTunes software. One can use software called iExplorer on Windows to access the "iDevice" like a hard drive.

#6 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 25 October 2016 - 01:05 AM

iPhones do not mount like a hard drive. You are meant to manage their files in the iTunes software. One can use software called iExplorer on Windows to access the "iDevice" like a hard drive.

Not correct. You do get read only access to the camera roll, and that is what the OP's question is trying to regain access to, and that appears in Windows Explorer as the iPhones device name with an internal base folder called "Internal Storage" (then "DCIM" etc.). That is all you get acces to, and as I say it is read only.

@John888

If unlocking the phone before connecting it did not help, then check the device drivers. - you say that you've already fone that and found an "unknown device" that you associate with the phoe. Does that come and go with connecting/disconnecting the iPhone?

You whould see two drivers whern the phone is connected.

"Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

and "Apple iPhone" under "Portable Devices"

You say that the iPhone is seen in iTunes. Does that work reliably? (Device backup runs through successfully on connection?). iTunes 12.5. Had driver installation issues, and the first driver above ("Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers") did not properly install on many systems. If it did not, you can manually update the driver by pointing to the correct driver on disk. If you attached a LOCKED IOS 10 handeset to your computer, this is the only driver you should see,. If it does nto appear (or if you see an "Apple iPhone" driver) update the it by manually specifying the location the driver files on disk. The drivers are found at "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers". If this driver is not properlly installed, then iTunes might appear to see the phone, but it will be uneliable.

If the "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" does appear, then then the iPhone is connected WHILST UNLOCKED, the second driver - The "Apple iPhone" driver should appear. If you see the unknown device pop up when you conenct the phone, I suppose you could manually update that driver and specify the "Apple iPhone" driver. It is a Microsoft driver so you done need to manually specify a location.  If the unknown device is there even when the phone is not conencted, then is it NOT relateed to this issue. Don't touch it.

I'm assuming that you've already tried conencting the phone to a different USB port, are using an original Apple undamaged cable, are conecting the cable directly to the computer (not through a USB hub) etc?

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users