Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeware Antivirus Detection Tests

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

There is an interesting comparison of four freeware antivirus programs at the Calendar of Upates forum.

AVG, AntiVir, Avast, and Active Virus Shield are the products that the CoU Site Admin Donna recently put through testing.

The post can be found here.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,006 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

Wow, talking about bursting AVG's bubble! I, for one, will be looking around for an AV other than AVG. No hurry, though. I have always felt that my use habits were the most important part of preventing getting a malware infection. Anyone considering getting that AV offered by AOL had best read and understand the EULA.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:29 PM

Thanks Koan for the link. I just read it. I still use AVG free,no problems for a couple years. I guess I surf pretty safely tho. I do run Panda and Trend micro and Ewido (is that redundant?) free scans every month or so and nothing turns up, so I feel comfy til I see signs of failure.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:23 AM

Thanx for that post KoanYorel.
Darn,and just a few weeks ago I made the transition from Symantec to AVG Free and ZoneAlarm. Posted Image Have always used safe browsing skills and preventative measures,so guess I will hang in there until I see anything that makes me feel insecure.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

I think it is important to note what Donna (correctly) states about this test:

"... we do not recommend any user remove or stop using any particular product based upon the results of this test. Please do not accept the findings of our test to infer the superiority of one or the inferiority of another. Rather, please use this test to alert you that not all programs perform similarly."

I find her reasons for this conclusion compelling.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

There was a review of a few free anti-virus program over at antivirus.about.com.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users