Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is mobile network safer than Wifi?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:23 PM

I just wonder,can someone sniff your browsing information, from your phone/tablet if you are only using mobile network from your cellular carrier? Is basically managing your accounts from 4G mobile network safer than using Wifi?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:35 PM

Only your ISP can sniff that traffic unless you have malware installed on your device.

That said, a secured private wifi network is just as secure as the only weak point is your ISP. Public wifi access is inherently insecure.

You should never use public wifi for anything of importance.

#3 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:50 PM

Yes, thanks for clarifying that. Yet still a router can be compromised, can the mobile network be intercepted by some device or whatsoever (by someone else than ISP)

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:53 PM

The only people I've heard of that can do that are particular government agencies, and that's just been hearsay.

#5 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:04 PM

So it not something that the local scrip kiddies can do, that's good to know. If one has however home network that is accessed by multiply family members and devices, i would consider the mobile network as safer for my purposes. How about the VPN server, i am not familiar with this type of connection but i've read that its more private? Can it be compromised if the router is unsecured?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

can the mobile network be intercepted by some device or whatsoever (by someone else than ISP)

One word:Stingray

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:44 PM

I understand, so one should never order a mob hit even through his mobile messenger!

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:57 PM

Especially if you're in Australia, they log everything here.

A VPN connection could be compromised by an infected router, but generally the connection is encrypted end to end and it would take significantly more effort to set up a sophisticated man-in-the-middle attack. 

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:59 PM

can the mobile network be intercepted by some device or whatsoever (by someone else than ISP)

One word:Stingray

Nice one. Learn something new every day :)

#10 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 12:48 AM

So, in conclusion, if you want safe and private connection, mobile network is the most secure - unless the government uses something like Stingray. Even if you completely trust your router (its hard to do if you have kids or relatives around that have no idea what malware is) there is still chance  if you live in apartment like me that some of your neighbors can crack your password- unlikely but you never know. Now i was told by another forum member that when it comes to your laptop,  even if you do dont use wifi but the net cable your information will still be tracked by the router? I am unaware of how cables work, but can i access the home internet with my laptop by cable, being totally independent of the router? 

Edited by resertedlab, 22 October 2016 - 12:53 AM.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:40 AM

The router (in a home situation) is not only your router but also your DHCP server and your gateway. So with those requirements to connect to the internet, there is no way you can not have it between you and the internet in general.

Good router security is overlooked by many people. But it is really as simple as setting a good strong administration password on it and a strong wifi key using WPA2 encryption.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:42 AM

If you feel you would like to add further functionality and security, many routers are compatible with open source firmware like DD-WRT.

#13 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:01 AM

Thanks for the answers TsVk, since we are on this subject, my family uses old D-link router, its WPA2 encrypted if i am not mistaken but there was a period of time back in the days when we had no Admin password (i only applied one like year after we bought it)- it was on default for long period of time. We always had the normal wifi password though. If someone is in the range of the router does he need to be logged to the wifi connection in order to access the admin section, or he could make changes as long as he knows the admin password? I was about to ask what is the most secure router since i am buying new one but you seem to gave me a tip. Also, i've never changed anything except changing the passwords a few times. Are you supposed to upgrade your router somehow or it does it on its own? Last night avast alarmed me about network threads after scanning and its sayed my model DIR- 300 B1 is vulnerable to attacks, It says that EDB-ID-15666 (thats some type of device) can be used to compromise my network. The solution, according to Avast is to upgrade the device's software/firmware. I am going to change the router any way but does that mean that i am hacked or just in danger? Shall i open a new topic about this? 

Thanks again

Edited by resertedlab, 22 October 2016 - 04:03 AM.

#14 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,716 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:31 AM

FYI:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMSI-catcher

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBTS

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#15 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

Didier, but even if they use any of the above programs (i know it's not happening, just being curious), if you use https, they will recive it encrypted right? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users