Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with ram update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ntinos

Ntinos

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:08 PM

Hello to everyone, i am new to this forum and i would like to ask a question. I have an old PC. (mobo: p5q3 deluxe, CPU: q9550-i3 RAM 2GB ) which i decided to upgrade a little, spending as few as possible. I want to add 8gb ddr3 and the only way i can do that to this old mobo with ddr3 ram is by adding 4x2gb modules. My questions is will my mobo run on 4 modules of this specific ram http://www.corsair.com/en/vs2gb1333d3 (if you wonder why this specific ram, its because i can afford it) ? I get confused when i read about ram technology in forums here and there, for example, that if i instal single rank ram it will not work because it is a newer technology and what i need is and older dual rank ram. Furthermore i would love it, if someone would be able to provide me a website where i can read and learn everything there is to know about ram memory and its technology. 
On the Qvl of the mobo. there are listed some single ram modules (not kit parts) which will run and work together on all four dimm sockets if you add them together, but some of them dont and i dont know why or how do i figure that out by my self. Since this ram is not listed in Qvl but judging by its features it is compatible with my mobo, how do i know if i can add 4 modules of it to my mobo?

Thanks and sorry for the long post and the bad English (i would give you a potato but we are not in 9gag icon_lol.gif )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:49 AM

Link doesn't work.

#3 Ntinos

Ntinos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

Link works for me, dont know why  it does not for you. That's the Ram in the link > Corsair Memory — 2GB DDR3 Memory (VS2GB1333D3)

#4 Sam00

Sam00

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

It should work, but I don't think that you need exacly 4x2GB. Probably adding 4+4 should work too, buy this is RAM - you never know until you try.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:10 AM

Per specs...board supports 16GB total, with 4 RAM slots.  Specs

In general,  RAM bought from Crucial which has been specified for your motherboard/system...is warranteed to work.  See http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/p5q3 .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 October 2016 - 10:22 AM.

#6 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:42 PM

Way back I built around 4 systems with that board, and over time upgraded two of them with 2x of this this exact kit here to 16GB total effective. However I found that manually setting it to 1333 MHZ instead of the rated 1600 MHZ gave better (and complete) stability. One of those customers is still using that system last time I checked.

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistix-Tactical-PC3-12800-240-Pin-BLT2KIT4G3D1608DT1TX0/dp/B006YG96KO?th=1

#7 Ntinos

Ntinos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your answers, but my problem is not that i can not find compatible memory kit, my problem is that i can not find affordable compatible memory kit, as i have set a limit of 50 euros for the upgrade, i dont think it is worth it to invest more on this old mobo. The one i posted from corsair, is affordable because i found it on a greek web site for low price and low shipment costs. The other ones i found was from USA and Europe with high shipment costs which sometimes doubles the price of the product. It just doesn't worth it, thats why my question circles around this specific module from corsair. 

Edited by Ntinos, 22 October 2016 - 08:14 PM.

#8 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:16 AM

Well good luck with the Corsair kit if you get it. I agree not mucn sense in investing too much in that older platform anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users