Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black / blank screen - laptop wont start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zoliidais

Zoliidais

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

Hello to everyone,

I am here to seek help for frustrating issue with my HP 625 laptop.

One day once starting my computer, screen stayed black (blank) and computer does not start.

There is caps lock blinking (5 times in same sequence).

And also my wireless key LED light is on.

-------------------

So I have tried these following things that I found on internet.

None of these worked:

• Tried reset without battery by holding power button for 30s, then 1min and then 2min. 
  • Connected laptop to external monitor and pressed all F1, F2 .. buttons also with FN + F4 etc.
  • Opened back cover of PC and replaced ram to different slot, then took RAM from other laptop, still same issue.
  • Tried to heat my computer (blocked my FAN for a bit) and left it for 10min, after that I managed to get HP logo on the screen, but that was it. After logo blank screen came back.

Now I am out of ideas, could you please let me know what else I can try to do to fix this?
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zoliidais

Zoliidais
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:31 AM

Hi,

Sorry for double post,

Forgot to mention OS which might be needful:

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11

Thank you.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:35 AM

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01732674#AbT2

LEDs blink 5 times General system board failure

Sounds like motherboard is broken. If it is, it's quite unlike you can repair it without new motherboard.

#4 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:36 PM

Is there something in the air with HP laptops??  I have a Compaq Presario CQ62 that was doing the EXACT same thing.  I too did some of the things that you have tried as well.  The only difference is that my caps lock just blinks every 2 seconds, without any break, while the Wifi stays lit. I was hoping that the CMOS battery may just need to be replaced, since it can possibly interfere with the BIOS being able to boot (at least that is what I read! LOL)  I will post my issue separate...just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users