Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse or charger malware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 resertedlab

resertedlab

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:53 PM

I understand that if someone physically plays with the mouse's firmware memory he can potentially plant malicious code and later seatch for vulnerable places in the machine it is plugged to. Does antivirus and antimalware programs able to detect anything coming from that type of source (mouse). Does that apply only for wireless mouses or also to the cabled ones? Can mouse get infected from a virus/malware without physical intervention, just through infected machine.Have you ever seen anything like this in the wild. How dangerous can it be?

Can a laptop charger be programmed somehow as well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

To do what you are suggesting - change the firmware in a mouse - you would need physical access to the computer. No computer can be considered secure if unauthorised persons have physical access to it, and if someone does have access to it there are quicker and simpler ways to steal data or insert malware than by trying to re-program what is probably a PIC type chip in the mouse.

A charger takes in mains AC - 110 or 230V - transforms it to about 20V, rectifies it and smooths it to DC and passes it to the battery charging circuitry. There are no programmable components.

While being security conscious is good, being paranoid makes life difficult for yourself !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

No computer can be considered secure if unauthorised persons have physical access to it, and if someone does have access to it there are quicker and simpler ways to steal data or insert malware than by trying to re-program what is probably a PIC type chip in the mouse.

Well, they can steal your data, and then fry your laptop to cover their tracks by modifying the charger.

Same principle as USB Killer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet-security/11932793/Killer-USB-stick-destroys-your-computer-in-seconds.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2896732/dont-trust-other-peoples-usb-flash-drives-they-could-fry-your-laptop.html

A charger takes in mains AC - 110 or 230V - transforms it to about 20V, rectifies it and smooths it to DC and passes it to the battery charging circuitry. There are no programmable components.

Actually, by modifying and/or adding electronic components, this can be come a motherboard killer, or transmitter.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#4 resertedlab

resertedlab
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:28 PM

Chris, yes i understand that, in reality nothing is 100%, even the safety of your own home can be compromised, some of the things i ask are to educate myself and the others around the forum :)

Crazy Cat it's good info, it's funny how creative people can get when it comes to destruction!

Edited by resertedlab, 23 October 2016 - 01:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users