Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wont turn on or just briefly turns on with greenish display

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 amecurty

amecurty

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

Hi!

I have a problem that I don't know what can be the cause.

My somewhat old timey laptop Toshiba Satellite A300 PSAGCE that doenst turn on sometimes.. and other times it just turns on for a brief moment and immediately or even gets to the windows logo and turns off. 

Sometimes when it turns off.. it stays off and when I click on the button to turn on.. I get no response or again briefly turns on and immediately crashes.

Other times.. it stays on a loop constantly turning on and turning off on its own. Seems witchcraft to me honestly xD..

Lately I realized that when it turns on it displays a greenish image that stays green until it crashes whether at the windows logo point.. or earlier if it crashes before it. 

I haven't used this laptop since this problem started because I had other alternatives so I kinda delayed the resolution of this problem. But I remember that when this started happening.. was around the time I noticed that it was getting overheated quite often.

Does anyone know what could it be? Some burned out hardware? What should I look for? A new laptop perhaps xD..

I really wanted to try to fix this but I really don't know where to start. 

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 21 October 2016 - 04:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

Operating System? My guess is Vista or W7 (?).

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:26 PM

Oh.. sorry. Forgot to mention that. Win 7 64bits.. but don't remember which version since it's been awhile since I am not able to enter windows or even used the laptop. 

One thing that I have noticed as well.. is that I tested it plugged in and with battery also in the laptop. And after 2-3 hours.. the light of "low battery" is still on. Doesn't seem to be charging the battery at all.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:41 AM

Doesn't seem to be charging the battery at all.

Well, that is where to start. Either the battery, the charger, or possibly both went bad. With a lap this old there are probably other problems also. I think this was a Vista machine originally, probably upgraded to W7. The only stats I could find are here.

I will be honest. Even after you found a replacement battery and/or charger, it sounds like there may be other problems. If the OS was upgraded to W7, hopefully the mainboard and chipset drivers were found for Windows 7 and installed. If not, the laptop will not run correctly on Microsoft generic drivers.

Other times.. it stays on a loop constantly turning on and turning off on its own.

If it goes into a boot-loop that most likely is OS or MBR problems. There is no way to correct them if the unit has mechanical problems/failed components. Ordinarily, even if the battery dies the laptop will run if plugged into the adapter from the wall socket. However, I have also seen some units refuse to do that also.

Try booting into safe mode by tapping the appropriate F-key (usually F-8) from cold boot. If the unit suddenly runs good in safe mode then the problem is software corruption or system conflict. If it will not enter safe mode either you most likely have a hardware problem.

Try entering the BIOS screen by tapping the appropriate key from cold boot (sometimes the Delete key). If at least you can access the BIOS, set the 1st Boot Device to the CD drive, 2nd boot device to the hard drive. Save and exit. Now get a Linux based distro and see if it will load from the CD drive. Memtest 86+ would be good, and in addition you can try various ones such as Knoppix, Fatdog, UBCD, or any other. Just see if the unit will run virtual, by-passing the hard drive. If it loads and runs smooth then you have targeted the problem as coming from the hard drive and/or OS. At least you have a fighting chance with that.

If all of the above will not work, and nothing runs, it's going to come down to starting to replace things and that can get expensive, if you can even find parts. And, in the end, you have an older machine that you have invested money in that might have been better spent on a new unit.

Edited by ranchhand_, 22 October 2016 - 05:42 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:35 AM

First.. thank you for your opinion!!

It originally had vista but then at the time.. I remember I did a clean install of win7. It worked fine for more than a year with win7. The problem started when I think the laptop started to overheat. The fans started to spin louder and sometimes the laptop would simply shut off.

I bought those cooling pads and cleaned the dust off and everything started going normal again.. in a sense that the laptop would last way longer without giving signs of overheating problems.

But I remember one day while I was playing some game.. it went off and then the problem started getting worse by not even turning on. That's the idea I have of how the problem I've described above started. It has been a while though..

I just woke up one of these days and decided to see if I could fix this and probably give it to my little ones for them to have something that works but wouldn't be a problem if they broke it xD.

I haven't tried to boot it in safe mode.. don't know why I haven't thought about that. I will certainly try it. 

Will also try changing power cables. 

And just one more thing, please, If I open the laptop.. if for instance the problem was caused by the overheating.. will I see something a little burned or presenting some signs of that,  or is it something that sometimes doesn't look like from the outside that is burned but could still be? Don't know if this sentence was clear xD

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,650 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:08 PM

will I see something a little burned

Probably not. Computers operate on very low voltage, the main cables are only 12Volts. If something failed inside there would be no indications outside. The only thing that can cause a spectacular spectacle is if the power supply shorts out or some such. Evidently that has not happened in your case.

#7 amecurty

amecurty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

I see.. I'll open it up just for the sake of learning xD. I might as well start looking for a new cheap laptop. 

Once again.. thank you for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users