Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Crashed My Computer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:42 PM

I simply do not want Windows 10.  But I have no way of explaining that to Microsoft.  I have two computers, both Windows 7.  In fact, one is relatively new and I bought it because it shipped with W7.   I've tried three different W10 computers.  That's three strikes.

Within the last week, Microsoft has violated both of my computers.  I have my Windows Update set to notify me of downloads and let me decide.  One morning I woke to a "you must restart your computer" screen, 

Yesterday while booting up the other computer, Windows wouldn't load.  That set me in a panic as it's less than a year old.  Actually, that computer shipped with W10 but after an unsuccessful marriage with the new OS, I went back to W7.  After about fifteen minutes I got a 'windows wouldn't load repair' tool.  It got me back.  When my computer came back up, there was a large GWX10 inventory check list starring me in the face. 

I don't know how this is legal.  Yes, I am borrowing Windows but because I am, I don't expect that I've forfeited my rights as a private person to not be infringed on with probes and spying.  I should read the fine print on my user agreement as I just may have signed away my soul to Bill Gates. 

The business model has changed drastically over the past fifteen or so years.  We used to have a firm wall of privacy and now it's gone.  I use a Corel photo editing program and am bombarded with ads.  In order to get critical updates, I have to agree to all this advertising.   They are linked together and that is the only way they offer computer fixes.  If I don't let them bombard me with ads, I can't keep my software updated.  Is that fair?

It used to be that we had to opt in for various services but now they flipped that and we have to opt out, even after they've included me in services that I did not request.

That reminds me, I vowed months ago to switch to Linux. 

I better get started.

Edited by hamluis, 21 October 2016 - 04:31 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:32 PM

Little green dots, the behavior of gwx is utterly unacceptable* but there are things you can do to stop it. I'm not sure if I remember you posting about problems with it before but did you see my advise for which update to refuse and remove and on setting updates so they would not automatically install. I'm not sure how your update settings would be violated like this, it shouldn't be possible, but you seem to indicate that it happened. Did you perhaps accidentally allow some sort of "Problem "fixing"" thing to run which set windows update back to default settings? To diagnose what happened I really need more details.

How is your work with linux going, perhaps it's time you tried booting up a live USB (but be warned it'll be painfully slow, you'll want to install it onto a large fast USb or an external hard-drive as soon as possible to get yourself a full linux OS. Make sure to deactivate "secure"boot first and to set your system to boot from USB before the internal hard-drive. You might want to take the internal hard-drive out during installation of linux to an external drive, if removing the internal HDD is relatively easy.

*Not only is it unacceptable but it also is, by ms's word, supposed to be over by now, it shouldn't be able to do anything now that the free upgrade period expired in summer. When did the most recent unwanted upgrade happen to a system of yours?

Edited by rp88, 21 October 2016 - 01:32 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:47 PM

If anyone is still getting GWX-based upgrades at this point it's going to make news (unless their system date happens to be set wrong, and even then, the MS end should know better).

I have a number of clients who have Win7 machines who've ceased to be asked about upgrading to Windows 10 almost immediately when the free upgrade period ended.

There have also been reports of going back to Win7 using a system image post-free-upgrade and having prompt removal of the existing GWX occur and no subsequent nagging.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Complaints about  Win10 "spying" are simply without merit.  I've now done multiple Win10 setups and with a few tweaks to the Privacy settings (most importantly turning Advertising ID off, allowing apps to access your account info and contacts, and turning off Cortana [specifically, inclusion of web results and "firmly declining" her assistance when asked the "are you sure?" question] and Windows 10 is about as Windows 7-like as can be.  There's still the marriage of Win7 and Win8 elements, but that's about it.

Edited by britechguy, 21 October 2016 - 09:51 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 11:12 PM

@britechguy,
We don't know HOW LittleGreenDots went back to Windows7. If from an old image, it's possible that the GWX trojan was still active, but due to date, it failed.

Last month's Windows7 update included a cleanout of the GWX by KB3184143. Everything is gone here. I never really had trouble with GWX because I disabled a bunch of its tasks and didn't allow any upgrades by either group policy or registry tweak, I don't recall.

On Windows10, I agree that spying is overrated. I disable the same stuff you do, allow M$ to get just Basic dumps of trouble, don't have M$ account. If need more, then one cool utility to help is O&O Shutup, and there is one on this site where more things can be turned off. Most deal with telemetry.

#5 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:08 AM

I simply do not want Windows 10.
That reminds me, I vowed months ago to switch to Linux. 

I better get started.

^That's called evolution!  :thumbup2:

Complaints about  Win10 "spying" are simply without merit.

On Windows10, I agree that spying is overrated.

So both of you can read the encrypted telemetry log files and the https traffic?

Please educate me!

Greets!  :wink:

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

GNULINUX,

I suggest that you take a Windows 10 machine that has "tamped down" privacy settings side-by-side with a Windows 7 machine and look at what a network monitor returns in regard to telemetry.  Unless you believe that Windows 7 has been spying, too, the difference between the two is minimal.  No one denies that the amount of information is significantly more if you choose to use something like the PDA feature of Cortana - it has to be - just as using "Hey, Google," or Siri causes a lot of data collection.  It's necessary to provide the service.

It's just plain stupid to believe that any major corporation is going to spy on you in any meaningful sense of the word spy.  It opens a mountain of liability that no one could possibly want, and Microsoft would be a tempting deep-pocket target.

Those who say that Windows 10 "spies" are using truth by assertion, not evidence.

Edited by britechguy, 23 October 2016 - 05:16 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:21 AM

^ You once again failed to answer the only question that matters...

It's just plain stupid to believe that any major corporation is going to spy on you in any meaningful sense of the word spy.

Yeah, it's pretty stupid to believe that... Where have you been hiding?  :hysterical:

Those who say that Windows 10 doesn't "spies" are using truth by assertion blindness, not evidence.

Fixed that for you...

PS: Don't bother to reply if you don't include unencrypted telemetry data!  :whistle:

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:32 PM

@Little green dots, I need a better understanding of the status of each one of your 2 Win7 computers.

Please verify my observations. If we can provide some recommendations, we need to know which one to address

One of them “is relatively new and I bought it because it shipped with W7”

--- Is there something you want to do on this computer?

On the other computer “that computer shipped with W10’ it “went back to W7”: I don't know how that happened but

--- It sounds like this is the one that has the “large GWX10 inventory check list” on it.

--- Do you need to know how to get rid of GWX?

I think your main concern right now is why Windows Updates are not notifying you of downloads so you can decide. Maybe they are related to Microsofts cumulative/rollup updates already

Windows 7, 8.1 moving to Windows 10’s cumulative update model

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/08/windows-7-8-1-moving-to-windows-10s-cumulative-update-model/

Here’s another one

Windows 7 now has a Service Pack 2 (but don’t call it that)

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/05/windows-7-now-has-a-service-pack-2-but-dont-call-it-that/

With all of that said though, I believe you will still be able to use Win7 safely until Jan 2010.

#9 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

Britechguy is right.  Windows 10 does not spy.  Only conspiracy theorists think Windows 10 spies, and as we know nothing will divert a conspiracy theorist from his claims.  Not even facts.  There is direct evidence of Windows 10 NOT spying, and there is indirect evidence.  The indirect evidence is the complete, and utter lack of law suits.  If Microsoft were truly spying, the lawsuits against the company would be endless.

#10 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 04:25 PM

Spoiler

^ Nice combination (avatar+post)... are we trolling?

I'm always happy to discuss evidence/facts but I do not feed the trolls!  :whistle:

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:17 PM

I'm always happy to discuss evidence/facts but I do not feed the trolls!  :whistle:

Actually, and I say this sincerely and without snark, you are not.  Your reply, with the lovely whistling eye-roller, to my last post - demanding unencrypted telemetry data, is evidence of that resistance.

I cannot decrypt a great deal of data that different businesses elect to send that way, and that includes Windows telemetry.   I can make a rational evaluation of what could be being done with data based upon its volume.  I have already posted, on other threads, the amount of data going back to Microsoft over the course of a month.  Given the data volume, which is a trickle when you set your privacy settings pretty much to "no" for everything except full telemetry, tells the story.  I'm willing to make a rational assessment based on lack of enough data being sent for Microsoft to be spying in any meaningful sense of that word.  You, however, want people to prove a negative, which cannot be done, and to accept an assertion with a complete lack of evidence.

I leave it to the readership to decide which is the more reasonable approach.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 30 October 2016 - 05:22 PM

Spoiler

^ Nice combination (avatar+post)... are we trolling?

I am not trolling.  Why would you even think that.  The trolls are the ones who try to prove something with a complete lack of data.

#13 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:02 AM

This is only for the good people that can (and want to) think for themselves...

First you read the M$ Windows EULA that comes with Windows 10 and is forced on you when you update any other Windows version...
Summary: M$ may do whatever it wants with your (personal) data and your operating system!
Saying they "may" implies they can! :wink:

Second you log your network traffic (while not using the machine) and do a little research on it...
Fact: Unknown traffic (that a normal user cannot block) leaves your machine and is pointing to different M$ owned servers.

Use your brain (1+1 skills are enough) and make your own decision! B)

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:13 AM

I am not sure how this played out. The CNIL is the French Data Protection Authority.

https://www.cnil.fr/en/windows-10-cnil-publicly-serves-formal-notice-microsoft-corporation-comply-french-data-protection

#15 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

This is only for the good people that can (and want to) think for themselves...

First you read the M$ Windows EULA that comes with Windows 10 and is forced on you when you update any other Windows version...
Summary: M$ may do whatever it wants with your (personal) data and your operating system!
Saying they "may" implies they can! :wink:

Second you log your network traffic (while not using the machine) and do a little research on it...
Fact: Unknown traffic (that a normal user cannot block) leaves your machine and is pointing to different M$ owned servers.

Use your brain (1+1 skills are enough) and make your own decision! B)

First thing.  It is not your OS or my OS.  It is Microsoft's OS.  We just have a license to use it.  Second, MS has no use what so ever for personal data.  It uploads anonymous encrypted usage data to better study how their OS is used so it can be improved, and better drivers, etc. released.  I am happy that they do this.  I have had drivers replaced which were a real headache in the past.  I enjoy having my OS connected to the cloud.  It makes for a much more pleasurable operating experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users