Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sammyd

sammyd

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

hi. just wondered if anybody could help me.

iv just bought a fujitsu amilo A1650 and want to create a wireless network with my home pc and broadband.

iv got BT broadband with a voyager 100 modem, the laptop has two network cards - a Broadcom 802.11g network adapter and a realtek RTL8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC. which one of these, if any, is my wireless network card?

a friend of mine said he literally turned on his wireless connection thing on his laptop and it found his home internet connection simple as that, mine doesnt so im guessing i need a router to create the network or do i?? iv looked at some wireless routers and they all seem to come with USB devices, i am a little confused, does the USB thing plug into the pc or the laptop, because i presumed the laptop didnt need the USB device seeing as it already has a built in wireless network card?

sorry if these questions seem really dumb!! any help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

Hello sammyd,. your wireless card is the Broadcom 802.11g network adapter. After a little research on the modem I noticed it is does NOT have a wireless feature, so yes you do need a wireless capable router. It would be unlikely for the router to connect using USB (Does your modem have an ethernet port??), so make sure you are looking for a "wireless router". These usually come with a couple of ethernet ports but not always. It might pay to go into your local computer shop and ask what to look for so they can show you what you need from their stock (if they have one). And tell your friend to secure his network to stop other people doing the same on his connection :thumbsup:
Cheers, Lucent

Edited by lucent, 22 August 2006 - 06:02 PM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#3 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

thanks a lot for the fast reply!!

u pretty much cleared up all my questions, thanks a lot.

got a mate who works in an electrical retail shop so he should be able to sort me out about the ethernet ports.

cheers :thumbsup:

#4 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:49 PM

No worries, glad I could help. Hope all goes well.
Cheers, Lucent
Posted Image

#5 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

hello again, got few more questions :thumbsup:

i got a router today and connected it all up, fairly sure iv connected it all correctly. my laptop picked up the network and it says im connected. but when i open explorer no pages will load and its as though i havent really got a connection - but it says i have

is this a service provider problem? or is there some settings i need to change etc.

any help would be great! :flowers:

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:48 PM

Ok just to verify. You connected the ethernet line from your modem to the WAN port on the router? Did you configure the router like it said in the manual?

#7 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:20 AM

i tried to setup the router but when i ran the disk that came with it and clicked setup router the setup page couldnt load - http://10.0.0.2

this is how my setup looks (probably wrong) my modem has two cables, a usb connecting to the pc and a DSL cable connecting to the phone line, my router has obviously the power cable, the LAN cable connecting to the pc, then theres the ADSL cable connecting to a microfilter on my phone line, i have a phone and a fax on the line so theres two filters (one was supplied with my router)

theres no cable going direct from my modem to my router.

on the router (a cable & wireless 802.11g/b ADSL) there are two flashing lights, the ADSL WAN light and the Ready light are flashing.

all of that ^^ is probably wrong as hell! lol so any more help would be appreciated

#8 sammyd

sammyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

does anybody have an idea as to why the ADSL light is flashing. on setup it says wait for it to stop flashing but it doesnt, but im not sure wat iv got wrong with the setup

my laptop connects to the network, signal strength is excellent etc but no internet pages will load - hardly any packets are being sent and received

any clues?

cheers

#9 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hello again, The address you could be looking for is https://10.0.0.1 or just http://10.0.0.1.

theres no cable going direct from my modem to my router

.....erm can you put one in? It would help....either that or check to see if your router is capable of handling your ISP connection for you.

a usb connecting to the pc and a DSL cable connecting to the phone line, my router has obviously the power cable, the LAN cable connecting to the pc

Does your modem only have the USB connection? I must have missed that.... again you may have to see if your router can handle the connection for you or swap the modem for one that puts out to an ethernet cable to plug into you router (Internet/WAN).
Cheers, Lucent
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users