Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing updates over local networks.... Does it work?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 U62

U62

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:53 AM

Hi all

I've got 4 computers, all running W10x64, all on the same network, all in the same homegroup, and all set to receive updates from PCs on local networks, but all of them are still only using the MS update server.

Not an issue for most people, but my broadband runs at about 1.5mb, so shared updates would be a real bonus if they worked.

Is there something I'm missing somewhere that's stopping them from sharing, or does it just not work at all?

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

Only Windows 10 computers and devices can connect to each other and get updates not only from Microsoft’s dedicated servers, but also from other Windows 10 devices that have already downloaded parts of the updates.

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 U62

U62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

Only Windows 10 computers and devices can connect to each other and get updates not only from Microsofts dedicated servers, but also from other Windows 10 devices that have already downloaded parts of the updates.

I'm sorry, but which part of my original post didn't you read?

They're all W10x64. One of them is even 100% up to date, but the others aren't sharing the updates.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

Sorry i was tired when i had a look at your post any how no harm done.

If the Windows Update agent can’t talk to the Delivery Optimization service (due to firewall or proxy configurations), or if there are no peers able to provide the content, it will then go ahead and grab the content from the WSUS server.

Edited by FreeBooter, 21 October 2016 - 10:50 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users