Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do i setup a VM i virtual box ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:10 AM

How can i setup a windows VM and where do i find the files needed ? (i know giving links is illegal but im sure my computer is definetely not good enough to run anything newer than Windows Vista or even Windows XP)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vCNrM8GqcipWRPJQNDC7Qn6

Edited by hamluis, 04 February 2017 - 05:50 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to VM forum - Hamluis.

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:48 AM

What kind of VM do you want to create? With 2GB of RAM, I wouldn't even attempt it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 10:33 AM

What kind of VM do you want to create? With 2GB of RAM, I wouldn't even attempt it.

I mean like windows ME and before thats why im asking for links to the operating systems because my computer will only be able to  emulate old ones anyway

Twitter

Website

#4 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

Can some one respond before i pretty much do it myself.

Twitter

Website

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

You can easily Google the image (.iso) you need, though you need to be careful where you take them from. You can also Google an install guide.

Installing Windows 3.1 for instance:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51190

Installing Windows ME:

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:24 PM

so you are telling me to go infect my computer on some shady site because you dont want to give me links to iso files for (obsolete) OSes from the windows 9x era

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 21 October 2016 - 05:25 PM.

Twitter

Website

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:29 PM

No I'm telling you to be careful in your research, and that is because I never looked for them. As far as I'm concerned, I still don't think it's legal to host Windows image if they aren't hosted by Microsoft themself, so I won't post public links to them for that reason.

unite_blue.png

#8 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

No I'm telling you to be careful in your research, and that is because I never looked for them. As far as I'm concerned, I still don't think it's legal to host Windows image if they aren't hosted by Microsoft themself, so I won't post public links to them for that reason.

im installing virtualbox and its making my computer slow

Twitter

Website

#9 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:29 PM

243fc6b43ba949d49d823114c8333f73.png

Now its asking me to install a driver which i am going to do anyways because by the time someone replies again the weekend will be over

Twitter

Website

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:45 PM

Your computer doesn't have enough specs (hardware) to handle virtualisation at a decent level. Also, please keep in mind that we're all volunteers here. Some users might not know enough to assist you with your questions/issues and some of them might simply be busy and cannot reply to this thread right now. Some of them are also asleep probably (we all live in different timezones). And yes, install all the drivers required during the install.

unite_blue.png

#11 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:50 PM

Your computer doesn't have enough specs (hardware) to handle virtualisation at a decent level. Also, please keep in mind that we're all volunteers here. Some users might not know enough to assist you with your questions/issues and some of them might simply be busy and cannot reply to this thread right now. Some of them are also asleep probably (we all live in different timezones). And yes, install all the drivers required during the install.

are you bleep telling me my computer wont be able to run WINDOWS 95

Twitter

Website

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:56 PM

I'm not telling you that your computer won't be able to run Windows 95 in a VM, I'm telling you that obviously your system will suffer from slowness if you do virtualisation because of the low spec'd hardware it have.

Also, please stay polite, BleepingComputer is a family friendly website.

unite_blue.png

#13 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:03 PM

I'm not telling you that your computer won't be able to run Windows 95 in a VM, I'm telling you that obviously your system will suffer from slowness if you do virtualisation because of the low spec'd hardware it have.

Also, please stay polite, BleepingComputer is a family friendly website.

why would it be slow if it already has so many resources to use (windows 95)

Twitter

Website

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:08 PM

Because virtulisation drivers, services, etc. put quite the strain on a system. And with 2GB of RAM and an Intel Pentium E5300 CPU, you must be feeling that strain. Did you create and setup your VM yet?

unite_blue.png

#15 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:12 PM

Because virtulisation drivers, services, etc. put quite the strain on a system. And with 2GB of RAM and an Intel Pentium E5300 CPU, you must be feeling that strain. Did you create and setup your VM yet?

i  literally have no idea what im doing since im pressing buttons until something works and the iso wont run although it did on the school computer (i was messing around during computer class and eventually i got it to run the setup although i think the file that worked wasnt the one i downloaded on my own

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 21 October 2016 - 07:15 PM.

Twitter

Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users