Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:11 PM

Is Malwarebytes Anti Ransomeware any good.? :notme:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:42 AM

As far as free anti-ransomware goes there's not a better one, imho.

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:37 AM

It's current in beta, meaning it does have some bugs and can be unstable. Last time I tested it, it didn't protect against all ransomware, however it's better protection than nothing. You should also have backups too.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:50 AM

Of the batch of current samples I've taken from my domain it protected against all of them. There's some geo-targetting going on too, I only used Australian distributed samples.

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:08 AM

Of the batch of current samples I've taken from my domain it protected against all of them. There's some geo-targetting going on too, I only used Australian distributed samples.

Yeah, usually those are roughly the same most common ransomware, which would likely already be made sure it was covered. I tested 20 different ransomware families, some old and new as that's the best way to make sure everything is covered.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#6 isaccasi

isaccasi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:49 AM

I realy on Bitdefender 2017+Malwarebytes Ransomeware+Zemana antimalware so i think i am good :guitar:

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:05 AM

That's a good line up. There's no protection like safe habits though ;)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:11 AM

Expanding on xXToffeeXx's comments...a beta version of a product is one not completely tested to ensure its stability or reliability. The goal of a beta program is to collect information regarding the performance, quality, stability, and functionality of new products in order to iron out the bugs before they are released to the general public as a stable final product. Beta software is not intended for inexperienced users since it may contain bugs ranging in severity from minor features not working properly to problems that may potentially damage your system. I seldom recommend using betas of any program since you never know what bugs and quirks you may encounter which could affect your system...then you have to waste time researching and getting things straightened out. If you choose to use a beta program, you use it at your own risk.See Post #2 in this topic for the best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) and a list of prevention tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users