Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what to install on a new windows 10 laptop?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 natfoster

natfoster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:39 PM

Just got a new lenovo windows 10 laptop.

What are some recommended software virus/malware etc to protect myself? 

I know the best way to protect from anything is don't do anything you shouldn't be doing on the internet.

On my old laptop i use to have ccleaner/ avast virus (free).

would prefer free , and yes i know we get what we pay for. 

thanks for your opinions 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:53 PM

The choice depends on what you are familiar with if you want to keep using what you already know.  One choice is start by installing NOTHING.  Just having Windows Defender enabled and up to date and having Windows Firewall is good protection (not what I understand, but just some of what I have read).  This if you are not a chance-taker, careful what applications you install, and careful what websites you visit.

Another choice is Norton Security, which when installed will de-activate Windows Defender and Windows Firewall, and replace the Firewall with its own Norton Firewall.  

Norton is not the only possible choice.  Other members will recommend other protection security applications.

#3 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:44 AM

The choice depends on what you are familiar with if you want to keep using what you already know.  One choice is start by installing NOTHING.  Just having Windows Defender enabled and up to date and having Windows Firewall is good protection (not what I understand, but just some of what I have read).  This if you are not a chance-taker, careful what applications you install, and careful what websites you visit.

It is very only normal recommendation, but not Norton or any other commercial purposes made crap.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:12 AM

I like Windows Defender. It works really good, no need for anything else.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:22 AM

I've used AVAST free for several years and was pleased with it.  You are absolutely correct, proper online browsing practices can help protect you from a lot of unsavory experiences.  I'm using AVAST Pro currently, but I've read some good reviews of Windows 10's Windows Defender.

One application you will probably wind up with is a PDF reader.  Adobe Reader has been around for years and is used by many people, but it has a large footprint.  There are a couple of other applications which work quite well, Foxit Reader is one example.

Most people will have at least one other browser other than Edge used in Windows 10.  Two of the more popular browsers are Google Chrome and Firefox.

Another application you may wish to include would be a email client.  There are several to choose from here as well.  I'm currently using Mozzila's Thunderbird, but there are others such as Opera Mail, eM Client, Claws Mail...

Edited by dc3, 21 October 2016 - 09:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users