Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Office Home & Business 2016...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 J201610

J201610

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

Hi 

Newbie in UK here and need some pointers on this subject, MS Office Home & Business 2016 :)

I'm in the process of buying a new laptop with Win 10 to replace my aging Dell on Vista (yes, its ancient!).

I have found another Dell that I want to buy but adding the additional Office H&B 2016 significantly bumps up the price.

So my query is:

1. Buying Office H&B 2016 from an external seller that I'd found on line is significantly cheaper than from Dell or from MS. How do I know the package is a genuine one and not an imitation/fake from the external seller?

2. The risk of buying 1 that turns out to be fake could be costly, e.g. result in a complete Windows install, or cause even more damage which may require Dell support, which they may not assist due to the Office H&B 2016 is purchased from an external seller?

What are your thoughts? Are there any seller for MS Office Home & Business 2016 that anyone could recommend for UK?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 10 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:00 PM

Have you considered open source Libreoffice is suppose to be really good. And theres also Open Office which is also open source.

https://www.libreoffice.org/ https://www.openoffice.org/ both of these completely free.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:28 AM

Another option for a open source application would be Apache OpenOffice.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 MasterNe0

MasterNe0

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

Their no way to know whether the product is fake or not UNTIL after you get it in your hands.

I myself call microsoft support to verify the key and check to see if the key is for the product I brought.

So far, buying some old version of Office 2013 came in different results. I had 1 the other day that was wrapped, came with the product key and Office 2013 H&B install cd like the real thing. However I called Microsoft, read the license key to them and they read it as Office 2013 Professional Plus and it being a volume license rather then a retail license. We returned the item (was brought on ebay).

Whether you buy it from amazon or ebay, call microsoft, have them verify it. if it doesn't work out, return it/dispute the item as not what was actually sold.

Right now if you buy it off newegg a office key for 2016, they having some kind of discount if you do it before monday. either that or check some electronic seller like newegg to see if they have deals.

I found  that buying from dell the office key can be cheaper sometimes then from microsoft directly if you aren't in a hurry.

Edited by MasterNe0, 21 October 2016 - 12:49 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

Their no way to know whether the product is fake or not UNTIL after you get it in your hands.

I myself call microsoft support to verify the key and check to see if the key is for the product I brought.

So far, buying some old version of Office 2013 came in different results. I had 1 the other day that was wrapped, came with the product key and Office 2013 H&B install cd like the real thing. However I called Microsoft, read the license key to them and they read it as Office 2013 Professional Plus and it being a volume license rather then a retail license. We returned the item (was brought on ebay).

Whether you buy it from amazon or ebay, call microsoft, have them verify it. if it doesn't work out, return it/dispute the item as not what was actually sold.

Right now if you buy it off newegg a office key for 2016, they having some kind of discount if you do it before monday. either that or check some electronic seller like newegg to see if they have deals.

I found  that buying from dell the office key can be cheaper sometimes then from microsoft directly if you aren't in a hurry.

Only purchase Microsoft products from reliable sources where they guarantee that it is a legal copy.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

I've never trusted buying software on-line that are significantly cheaper and as mentioned buying Microsoft products should be purchased from a reliable source. I bought MSFT Home & Business 2013 at WalMart for my son. It was about $220/$230 US dollars (the standard price for that product at any reliable source). But I think the long term: for example if his new Win10 computer lasts at least 10 years, that's an average of only $22/$23 year. I'm still using MSFT Office 2000 on my Win10: I think it cost about $120 and I thought it was high back in 2001 but here it is 2016 and still running fine.

Anyway back to the on-line issue at a fraction of the cost, if you decide to pursue it, ask about their return policy. If it isn't returnable once the package is opened whether or not you use it, I wouldn't risk investing in it. But if it turns out you can return it as long as you haven't used it, then follow up on the recommendation to call MSFT and ask them about the product key once you know what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users