Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cat pee, stripped laptop, sometimes working sometimes not!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChelseaWard

ChelseaWard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:34 PM

Hi,

So I woke up this morning to find that my cat peed in a bag containing my laptop, camera and bits and pops, thankfully the camera was fine!

I stripped the laptop, only found pee on the battery and RAM, dried any wet parts and cleaned the dust out.

Later on, I turned it on, I could only hear the fan, the lights flashed to say it was on but no screen. Put the battery in the boiler room and then tried it again later. Screen came on, functioned perfectly. Took battery out and placed it and laptop in the boiler room for a few hours while I was at work. Tried using it again, worked perfectly. Had to power off using power button when Ark Survival mods caused my laptop to crash.

Same problem, fan running, no screen. Took battery out and tried using it connected to the charger, same issue.

I'm at a loss here!

What should I do?

I have a big medical bill so can't afford a repair shop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

Urine is (1) conductive and (2) corrosive.

This may be an overly dramatic suggestion but I would be considering stripping the laptop down to the mobo level and rinsing the mobo with distilled water - possibly two or three changes - then let it dry off. And follow that with a rinse or wash with high concentration iso-propyl alchohol to get rid of any remaining water. Then let the alchohol dry off, preferably in a ventilated space before re-assembling. And give the inside of the case a wash as well.

My reasoning for the above is that since the cat pee got into the RAM it almost certainly got elsewhere inside the laptop. If you search on YouTube for the make and model of your laptop + teardown you are almost certain to find videos on how to safely take it apart. These videos will also help you decide if the operation is within your skill or confidence level.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ChelseaWard

ChelseaWard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:15 PM

Urine is (1) conductive and (2) corrosive.

This may be an overly dramatic suggestion but I would be considering stripping the laptop down to the mobo level and rinsing the mobo with distilled water - possibly two or three changes - then let it dry off. And follow that with a rinse or wash with high concentration iso-propyl alchohol to get rid of any remaining water. Then let the alchohol dry off, preferably in a ventilated space before re-assembling. And give the inside of the case a wash as well.

My reasoning for the above is that since the cat pee got into the RAM it almost certainly got elsewhere inside the laptop. If you search on YouTube for the make and model of your laptop + teardown you are almost certain to find videos on how to safely take it apart. These videos will also help you decide if the operation is within your skill or confidence level.

Chris Cosgrove

Thank you Chris, 

I don't think it got in many places, thankfully laptop was standing on it's side. I will definitely try stripping it down and having a proper clean. It was working perfectly until I pressed the power button. The vent above the RAM is the second lowest, the other being the disk drive.

Toshiba Satellite Pro L850

#4 ChelseaWard

ChelseaWard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:30 AM

The laptop is working :D

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:37 PM

Those serious intrusions of corousive liquids call for a total scrub and wash down.  I use simple green, 10 to 1 in a squirt bottle and a small dish of simple green straight.  With an acid brush that has the bristles cut to 3/4 inch,  After disassembly, stand the board(s) on end and spray from the top down and using the brush dipped in the solution, concentrate on the areas affected and any downstream areas.  Pay close attention to the underside of discrete chips and around standing caps.  Connectors are also points of intrusion.  Wash down with clear water and with canned air, blow off any excess.  Wash down with a residue free electronic cleaner like Blue Shower and let dry for 24 hours.  Cats have a unique way of expressing themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users