Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory problem, dual channel running in a single channel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:49 PM

I have a Sager NP7378, (i7-4710, 16 GB ram, 256 meg SSD, 1 TB HD, Nvidia 850) while doing a check the other day I noticed that it showed that the memory is running single channel instead of dual channel.  I'm not sure how long it's been doing this but I have noticed that some software packages have been running strangely.  I'm guessing this may be part of the issue.

Checks still shows that I have 16 GB of RAM so both memory sticks are being recognized.  Any idea what would cause the computer to not recognize it as dual channel?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:55 PM

What did you use to check the memory? Don't confuse (dual channel) with (dual rank) or (single channel) with (single rank) CHANNEL and RANK are two different things.

#3 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:25 PM

I 1st noticed it more running UserBenchmark software, a screen capture of the results is attached.  I then ran CPU-Z and is obtain the same results (screen capture also attached).

Attached Files

#4 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

Try running a memory test. You might have a bad stick.

Are they a matched pair?

Are they in the correct dimm slots?

Try reseating them.

Try reseting the cmos.

Its going to be a process of elimination.

Edited by Teddy1, 21 October 2016 - 01:27 AM.

#5 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

They are a matched pair and had been running on dual channel previously.  I ran Mem test overnight and it showed no problems.  There are only 2 slots so they have to be in the correct ones.  I've taken them out and reinserted them and they also both show up on system information so they both have to be being seen by the system.  I'm not sure if I can do a complete reset of the cmos, I looked through the bios and I'm not seeing anything wrong.

#6 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

Simple way to reset the cmos is to remove the battery from the motherboard and then reinstall it after a couple of minutes.

Attached Files

#7 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

Simple way to reset the cmos is to remove the battery from the motherboard and then reinstall it after a couple of minutes.

Considering this is a laptop things are quite different. There isn't a separate battery for the cmos and pulling the battery and power to not reset anything.

#8 Teddy1

Teddy1

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:40 AM

OK ---- I have no experience with laptops, can anyone else out there help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users