Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SSD making noises?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iancredible12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:42 PM

So lately I have found that I can hear at times the sound of a hdd when loading programs/games, however, I have an ssd so this should not make any noise. Non the less it is an old ssd, so I purchased a new one, but still the sound persists of a loading hdd, and then every now and then some random clicks which do cause the pc to stutter, where it be loading a web page or in a game, random stutter when the clicking happens.
Any idea's? could it be something else making the noise? everytime the hdd light flashes is when the noise happens, could it be the led? although that doesn't explain the stuttering and random clicks.
CPU - I7 960 LGA1366
Motherboard - Gigabyte G1-Killer Series G1.Guerrilla
Memory - Corsair Memory Vengeance Black 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1600 MHz XMP Dual Channel
Graphics Card - MSI Geforce GTX 1060 Armor 6GB
PSU - Corsair CX750 - 750 Watt
Case - Fractal Design R5 (with 4 fractal design fans)
Hard Drive - Kingston 240GB UltraSlim 7mm SSD

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,284 posts
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:29 PM

You sure noise source is not PSU?

#3 Platypus

• 13,246 posts
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 05:41 AM

As drillingmachine says, it's possible for the PSU, video card or mainboard to produce clicking/ticking or whizzing sounds as loading changes, often in time with screen updating. Also the sound itself can pick up the electrical noise of screen updates, which can sound rather like rapid hard drive head seeks. If it is occurring in the sound and coincides with stutters, it can be caused by DPC latency, often a problem with drivers.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users