Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitlocker Error after Hard Drive Swap

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OracleofMN

OracleofMN

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

Computer: Lenovo Thinkpad E450

Windows 10

New Harddrive: Samsung SSD 850 EVO

I recently switched out my factory harddrive for a SSD. I unencrypted the factory harddrive before doing anything. Created the image, and then made the switch. I am now trying to encrypt the new harddrive but am getting this error message:

"The path specified in the boot configuration data (BCD) for bitlocker drive encryption integrity protection application is incorrect. Pleaes verify and correct your BCD settings and try again."

I found this article from Msft https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929834

However when I try to do as the article instructs I get the following messages in command prompt. Now I am lost since i don't know what these mean and I am over my head :)  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2rw1dow.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaKittyKat

DaKittyKat

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:47 PM

Hello, Is your verison of windows 10 either the Professional or Enterprise edition of 10? As reading up it seems that is the only versions it is on.

Source: http://www.howtogeek.com/192894/how-to-set-up-bitlocker-encryption-on-windows/

#3 OracleofMN

OracleofMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

It's Windows 10 Professional.

I know bitlocker works on this computer as I had it set up before I made the drive switch. The lenovo e450 has the TPM chip. So, it's not a matter of whether or not bitlocker will work on the computer, it's that something happened when I switched out one harddrive for another.

Thanks!

Edited by OracleofMN, 20 October 2016 - 01:57 PM.

#4 DaKittyKat

DaKittyKat

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:00 PM

Hello, Did you restore the computer via a backup from the old drive to your solid state? Also you do know you are able to right click on the drive in explorer to turn on bit locker.

#5 OracleofMN

OracleofMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:07 PM

No I didn't do a restore. I just pulled the old drive, screwed the new one in and started the computer. I thought that was the point of doing a disk image/migration. I tried right clicking and selecting "Turn on Bitlock" but I get the same error message.

#6 DaKittyKat

DaKittyKat

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:12 PM

I believe you need to include the colon as in bcdedit -set {bootmgr} device partition=C:

#7 OracleofMN

OracleofMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:25 PM

So you are correct that I was missing the colon. However, I ran each of the command prompts, they said they were successful, restarted my computer and still get the same error when trying to start bitlocker...I was really hoping it was this easy....any other thoughts?

#8 OracleofMN

OracleofMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

For the future - I was able to fix this by reinstalling windows using a Windows re-install. I followed this

I used the ISO download.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users