Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

REAL (I said real) security threats and reasons to upgrade

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 LucasAlmeida

LucasAlmeida

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

Hi,

First, I'm not sure if this kind of discussion is allowed here, so, I'm not sure if I have the right to ask this but if this topic was to be closed, I would like to be informed about where is the right place to post this.

But I wanted to question what are the real threats presented to XP so people "MUST" upgrade as I see many people say. They say it's an obsolete OS (although many applications and plugins still install just fine) and incredibly unsecure.

So, let's say that the user it's not a total beginner on computers (would happily click on the "get your prize" ads and read fake bank emails and get scared) nor a total expert (works with security in an IT sector of a company and already seen enough to be scared of security holes).
It's just a guy who knows how to keep an antivirus updated and to enter only known major sites (facebook, outlook.com, google websites, netflix, amazon, etc.) and not to download software from blogs, and rarely reads email, using social networks to communicate instead.

What kind of threat is this user really exposed to? Like, in detail, what security hole it is and what does it do to the PC, that should urge this user so much to upgrade and get away from XP, a known extremely stable OS?

Really makes me curious to see people recomend so passionately to upgrade just because of the EOL of the OS.

Edited by hamluis, 20 October 2016 - 09:47 AM.
Closed per OP reequest rec'd via PM - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users