Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Unable to copy files from one directory to another on Windows 7 64-bit "You requ

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:07 AM

On my Dell Optiplex 780, I am unable to copy any file or folder to another directory, I always get the following error:

You require permission from Main Desktop/Arceist Justin to make changes to your computer
Problem is Arceist Justin is my user on my computer and I am logged in as and it does indeed have administrative rights. But I cannot copy files. This is weird because it is saying I need permission from the user that I am currently logged as. No matter how many times I try to click 'Try again' it gives the same error.

Anybody know what the problem could be and how to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,864 posts
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

Hello there,

This seems to be an ownership problem to me. Will you please try taking ownership of your user folder, e.g. (C:\Users\Arceist Justin)?

Taking Ownership of Files and Folders
If you are an administrator, an authorized user, or a backup operator, you can take ownership of a file or folder by completing the following steps:
1. In Windows Explorer, open the file or folder’s Properties dialog box by right-clicking the file or folder and then clicking Properties.
2. On the Security tab, click Advanced to display the Advanced Security Settings dialog box.
3. On the Owner tab, click Edit.This opens the Advanced Security Settings dialog box for editing.
4. In the Change Owner To list, select the new owner.If you’re taking ownership of a folder, you can take ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder by selecting the Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects option.
5. Click OK twice when you have finished.

from Tip: Learn How to Take or Assign Ownership of Files and Folders.

Edited by bwv848, 22 October 2016 - 08:55 PM.

If I do not reply in two days, please message me.
BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users