Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If learn or use Macrium Reflect Free in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 06:34 AM

Do I need to know or watch for anything to be sure to do if I want to learn or use Macrium Reflect Free edition in Windows 10, having the UEFI system?  If I press key F2 on startup upon seeing the computer name's logo, a few seconds later a screen is displayed with tabs.  Under one of the tabs there is a selection for Secure Boot and the options are Standard or Custom.  Under another tab (the BOOT tab) is another listing of Secure Boot and the options are Disable or Enable.    Would I need to change either or both of these in order to use or do anything with Macrium Reflect Free Edition, or any other Backup Image & recovery software or such tool?  

The current settings for Secure Boot found in that F2 menu are "Standard", and "Enabled".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:48 PM

The software is used normally to create your backup images from within Windows...

However, you might need to disable secure boot if you ever need to boot from recovery media (CD or USB)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

The software is used normally to create your backup images from within Windows...

However, you might need to disable secure boot if you ever need to boot from recovery media (CD or USB)

Would that mean to just set Secure Boot to "Disabled", but leave the setting for Custom or Standard alone still set to "Standard" ?

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

The secure boot might only apply to the hard drive anyway, and you might not even need it disabled for booting from rescue media; create the rescue media, and see if you can boot from it by setting boot device order to include USB and/or DVD, as appropriate.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

When using Macrium you can double click the image file and Macrium will ask if you want to assign a drive letter to it. After assigning the drive letter Macrium will mount it and make the image file look like another hard drive. You can explore the files in the image and copy any file out of the image you may need.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226436/how-to-mount-a-macrium-reflect-backup-image-to-retrieve-files/

With Aomei you cannot simply double click the image file. You need to mount the image using the Aomei program.

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/image-file-explore.html

MMD1963 responds,  

The secure boot might only apply to the hard drive anyway, and you might not even need it disabled for booting from rescue media; create the rescue media, and see if you can boot from it by setting boot device order to include USB and/or DVD, as appropriate.

Very nice.  But I still want to know, ....

Would that mean to just set Secure Boot to "Disabled", but leave the setting for Custom or Standard alone still set to "Standard" ?

Edited by cafejose, 20 October 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:22 AM

You do not need to disable SecureBoot when booting Macrium's recovery disk or USB. The bootable disk you create allows you to boot with SecureBoot enabled. If you have USB 3, the bootable media will include those drivers also. When creating the bootable media you need to select PE 5..

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Creating+rescue+media

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 October 2016 - 07:22 AM.

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

That makes sense.  Secure Boot not involved in booting to CD/DVD.  The next thing might be needed one day, is possible restoring a backup image.  Would any F2 menu changes be needed then?  Would leaving Secure Boot as "Standard" and "Enabled"  not be any problem if trying to restore a backup?

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 07:25 PM

Something I am confused about is the Pre-Installation Environment.  Windows 10 needs something special  (AIK) and is complicated to arrange.  I read so many items through internet searches about AIK to make winPE, that I still do not understand.  So, I was expecting not necessarily to try ONLY Macrium Reflect Free, but some other like Paragon Free, EaseUs Todo, or AOMEI Backupper and make the linux rescue disks.  Macrium has dropped the choice for making linux based rescue disk.

AIK, just too complicated; files to download, files to burn here or there, still unclear.

Linux rescue disk,no special other programs needed, but not sure if any important disadvantages, if only interest is for simply restore a backup image.

Would understanding HOW TO USE a linux rescue disk have any complications, anything special to know?

Note also, two kinds of computers for possible practice:  Vista 32-bit, and Windows 10 64-bit

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

I did not have to download the AIK when Macrium was installed on a Windows 8 computer. I am not sure why you would need it for Windows 10. On the Vista computer you would need to download the AIK but I don't think you would need this for your Windows 10 computer. The boot disk created on the Windows 10 computer should work on your Windows Vista computer.

CD/DVD boot does come into play when SecureBoot is enabled. If SecureBoot is enabled and the CD/DVD does not have the correct certificate, it will not boot. If you create the linux boot disk you will only be able to restore an image using it. Backing up an image is not possible with the linux version as far as I remember. If PE 5 requires you to download the AIK then try PE 4. That should still work.

#10 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:21 AM

I made and tested a rescue disk (DVD).  Opening and boot-into, no problem, just took time (maybe 4 or 5 minutes).

QUESTION IS:  If prepare Macrium rescue disk on brand A  of model x, computer, 32-bit Windows, 32-bit machine, should the rescue disk be expected to work in any brand B of model y computer, same 32-bit windows, 32-bit machine?

(NOTE:  Macrium allows user to prepare WinPE 3.1 rescue disk, for Windows Vista/7.  No other choice  - or that's what the program recommended, so that's what I accepted as the default.)

Edited by cafejose, 27 October 2016 - 03:23 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:32 PM

The rescue disk should work on any computer as long as it boots.

#12 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2016 - 11:20 PM

The rescue disk should work on any computer as long as it boots.

Not completely clear.  That must mean, I should try using on a machine different from the one on which rescue disk was made, and find if it works or not works.  I could try that.

Then, the question is still, WILL THIS RESCUE DISK still work if trying to restore an image backup onto that other machine?  Or does the rescue disk really need to have been made on the machine on which this backup is to be restored?   (Both machines would be same O.S. and version, and both same "bit" machines and O.S.).

Also I wonder if Macrium Reflect needs to have been installed on the machine which would  be recovered?

Edited by cafejose, 27 October 2016 - 11:21 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:12 AM

The reason I say should is because there may be a problem if the disk was created on a non-UEFI computer and you try booting the disk on a UEFI computer with SecureBoot. SecureBoot would need to be disabled and possibly CSM boot or Legacy Boot enabled in the UEFI settings. I believe there is a check option during the creation of the disk that offers the ability to boot in UEFI mode but I am not sure.

You may want to read through this thread. If you create a USB flash drive and it's formatted to FAT32 you will be able to boot on both UEFI and non-UEFI computers if you check the UEFI box although you still may need to disable SecureBoot if enabled. See the last post by Nick.

Other than that, if the disk boots to the UI of Macrium it will work. You can verify the image taken after using the boot disk by double clicking or using the check image function when in Windows.

Macrium does not have to be installed on the machine which would be recovered if you created the image with the same boot disk on that machine. 

#14 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,063 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 02:39 PM

Macrium does not have to be installed on the machine which would be recovered if you created the image with the same boot disk on that machine.

That would mean, tell me if I misunderstand, I can have machine A and machine B both same bit machine and bit Windows and version of Windows; Machine A has Macrium installed but machine B does not have macrium installed.  I use machine A to create the rescue boot disk.    I can bring the rescue disk to machine B, startup and boot machine B to the rescue disk, and  CREATE A BACKUP IMAGE OF machine B.  This correct???

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2016 - 03:51 PM

Yes, that is correct. As long as you can boot to the Macrium UI on computer B and Macrium detects all your drives including the external drive you can create a backup of Computer B using the disk created on Computer A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users