Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop stuck on black screen at start up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ava2001

ava2001

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 04:02 AM

Hi

I'm trying to help out my dad who's laptop is having issues. It's only 3 years old but he's been saying it's been running slower and slower since he installed Windows 10 on it. It's an ASUS A54C, 2BG memory CPU Intel Pentium 8960 2.2GHz

Basically what's happening is on start up I get the ASUS logo come up and then the windows logo come up and then a black screen with the mouse icon and then that's it. I can move the mouse pointer around but nothing happens after that. Not sure what's going on but would be great if I could get some advice as I want to save my dad throwing it in the bin as he's getting tired of the issues.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:43 AM

Have you tried reinstalling?  It should work fine with Windows 10.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:10 AM

Try the following. It may allow will allow you to do a reset where you can keep your data but all programs would need to be reinstalled.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  6. Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1013063

If the above does not work and you need to recover data on the computer post back and I will give instructions on recovering the data. You also have the option of either reinstalling Windows 10 or if the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 you can revert to 8.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

Repair Windows Explorer not Starting During Login into Windows O/S

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users