Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program made all my desktop files disappear.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesaber27

bluesaber27

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:53 AM

I downloaded this: https://github.com/Bahanix/aMazing. It's apparently a program that makes mazes of folders. I ran it and entered my desktop in the prompt and i realized all my files on my desktop started to disappear! I closed it before it finished but i've lost the majority of my desktop files and the maze folder it made seems to only consist of folders and no files. Right clicking it shows it as 0 bytes and searching with * shows only folders. Did the program delete all my files? Please, how can i fix this nightmare?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:45 AM

Do a system restore to a restore point prior to the installation of the problematic program.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bluesaber27

bluesaber27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:53 PM

Yes i tried system restore but it didn't help, it doesn't seem to restore personel files, only system ones. Does the code say what it did to my files?
Edit: i looked it up and one of the lines wipes the directory, i guess my only hope is data recovery software now

Edited by bluesaber27, 20 October 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:48 AM

Right click on the desktop, select Personalize.

In the menu on the left side choose Themes.

Select desktop icons.  Place a check in the icons box you want restored.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bluesaber27

bluesaber27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

Hi, i took a look at that and it doesn't restore my personal files. The program wiped all the files and folders such as music, games, videos, and word documents. I tried a data recovery program but it didn't work so i guess i'm screwed

Edited by bluesaber27, 21 October 2016 - 06:07 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:24 PM

Use ShadowExplorer to restore deleted files from Shadow Copies (Restore Points).

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users