Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Anti-Virus Software?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 BattIefists

BattIefists

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:29 PM

I've been browsing around, and have only found a single Anti-Virus software I've been happy about.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BattIefists

BattIefists
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:30 PM

Messed up here, ignore this post.

Edited by BattIefists, 20 October 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:33 PM

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

Here are links to some related discussion topics:Here are links to BC polls:I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 BattIefists

BattIefists
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:34 PM

Apologies, somehow my browser posted this twice.

EDIT: Awesome, thank you!

Edited by BattIefists, 19 October 2016 - 07:36 PM.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

What one anti-virus program were you very happy with?  That answer can help us make a few replacement suggestions, for future use.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 BattIefists

BattIefists
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

What one anti-virus program were you very happy with?  That answer can help us make a few replacement suggestions, for future use.

The one I was happy with was Avast! free version, however I'm looking for something free with more than the Avast! free version has. I'm currently using Sophos like quietman7 suggested.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:48 PM

Sophos is a good choice for a free anti-virus.

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.Further, avast! pushes a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

#8 BattIefists

BattIefists
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

Sophos is a good choice for a free anti-virus.

avast! Free Antivirus has been becoming more of a disappointment for the past several years and I no longer recommend it.

Further, avast! pushes a support package for $180 offered by a third party which prefers to take remote control of your computer in order to fix problems.

Awesome! I got Sophos and I love it; very simple to use and effective, especially for finding PUPs.

Have a nice day.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:02 PM

:thumbup2:

#10 KasumFilip

KasumFilip

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:14 PM

quietman, how do you explain Avast's editors choice rating at pcmag and excellent independent labs results? Is it really not a good free antivirus choice? Although Sophos also got an excellent rating...

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

There are several reputable labs which test the effectiveness of major anti-virus programs and security suites to include AV-Comparatives.org, Virus Bulletin Comparative Tests, AV-Test.org, NSS Labs Consumer Anti-Malware Products Group Test Report, Anti-Malware Test Lab, MRG-Effitas, etc....PCMag is not one of them. The PCMag Editors' Choice is awarded to products and services that rise above similar products in their categories as determined by their own experts. PCMag Technical Excellence Awards are voted on by the magazine's editors and analysts.

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for (type of threats, attack vectors, exploits), what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, objectivity and data results. Read Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization: AMTSO Fundamental Principles of Testing.

Each security vendor uses their own testing/analysis methodology for malware so the detection results are not always the same.Some of the testing criteria and standards may even be misleading.

...for some unknown reason...the renowned German test lab AV-TEST has quietly (there was no warning) modified its certification process. The changes mean that the certificates produced by the new rules are, to put it mildly, pretty useless for evaluating the merits of different AV products...With AV-TESTs new certification standards, the onus is on the user to carefully investigate the actual results of each individual testthey may find that a product that blocked 99.9% of attacks has the same certification as a product that only blocked 55%.

Comparative testing: A bit of background for the uninitiated

Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus testing is going to detect anything. It takes time for new malware to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus/anti-malware researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions.

#12 BattIefists

BattIefists
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

I'm just wondering, in your opinion is Avira a good choice for antivirus, and is it trustworthy and effective?

Thanks!

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

Since you already have an open topic about anti-virus I am merging this with that one...there is no need for a new topic.

Yes Avira is trustworthy and some of our members use it.

#14 BattIefists

BattIefists
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:40 PM

Since you already have an open topic about anti-virus I am merging this with that one...there is no need for a new topic.

Yes Avira is trustworthy and some of our members use it.

Alright, sorry for making another post.

Thanks for confirming it and have a good night.  :bounce:

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:59 PM

You're welcome.