Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro Just WILL NOT STOP BEEPING

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dalethomas15

Dalethomas15

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

so i was given a dell vostro 220 a few years ago around 2010-2009 and i have been using it ever since it has had a few upgrades here and there over time. but 10/17/2016 i just would not stop crashing so i turned it off and let it set for a few hours. and yes i do regular cleaning about every three months or so. any  way after a few hours i rebooted it and there was beeping twice over and over. and on the case believe it or not my power led was wired backwards so amber is green and vice versa. and the power indicator is blinking green (aka amber) and it will not power off. driving me crazy yes i own a lenovo t400 but i can not play games on it. i would need to replace the video card in that case to do so. the dell beep codes are saying that my ram is bad. and i put new ram in it a week before hand. and i put the old stick in and still the same think

HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

Did you run Dell Diagnostics online for this system?  Did you run the offline diagnostics?

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/4/SLN114988

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#3 Dalethomas15

Dalethomas15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

I can not get the system to respond. No display. Keyboard no working. Nada

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:47 PM

On a Dell (and other brands) of that age, examine the mainboard in case there are bad electrolytic capacitors:

http://www.badcaps.net/index.php?pageid=identity

Capacitors can also be going bad in the PSU and cause similar symptoms.

Edited by Platypus, 19 October 2016 - 05:48 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Dalethomas15

Dalethomas15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:50 PM

No. I took the system apart nothing is discolored or bulging. I put it together 2 beeps and blink amber light

#6 Dalethomas15

Dalethomas15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:59 PM

And I used a second power supply

Attached Files

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,436 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

Just as a point of interest, I notice your CPU power plug only has a single lead going to it. Most of these 3-pin plugs normally have all 3 leads attached. I can't quite figure out how your CPU is actually running with the plug like that... :scratchhead:

Have you 'tinkered' with it at all recently? And, er.....you are aware your ITX power lead is disconnected in the picture, yes?

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 20 October 2016 - 11:16 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 Dalethomas15

Dalethomas15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:40 AM

It's a three month old Power supply
Atx

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,431 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:07 AM

Just as a point of interest, I notice your CPU power plug only has a single lead going to it. Most of these 3-pin plugs normally have all 3 leads attached. I can't quite figure out how your CPU is actually running with the plug like that... :scratchhead:

The 3 pin plug with single yellow lead is case fan power - presumably the case fan is earthed elsewhere. The CPU power socket is obscured behind the CPU fan.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,431 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:15 AM

Dalethomas, I think we're slightly puzzled what your image is showing us - that capacitors look OK? Bare wire ends floating about doesn't look too encouraging...

Power light blinking "amber" indicates a power problem, even though 2 beeps reports no memory detected - one could be causing the other. Diagnosis probably comes down to a process of elimination, although having access to a digital multimeter to check correct supply of +3.3V, +5V and +12V would be helpful.

If you haven't already found it, Service Manual:

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-220_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

#11 Dalethomas15

Dalethomas15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

The bare wires do to the fan I have installed in the front of the case and go a fan controller in the top right corner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users