Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another one bytes the dust

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 L1NGUS

L1NGUS

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:03 PM

So Marcin Kleczynski and his Malwarebytes company purchased AdwCleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/) (https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/)

https://press.malwarebytes.com/2016/10/19/malwarebytes-acquires-adwcleaner/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Not a good sign.

I used to really admire MBAM until they started getting greedy.

Remember when you could purchase a lifetime MBAM license for $19.95?

And then the ransomware threat exploded. Suddenly MBAM is now being shopped for a 5-dollar increase that will be applied yearly $24.95 and there is no more lifetime license. And to go along with this drastic price increase is a sudden flooding of the media with articles about the threat of malware especially RANSOMWARE. Run for your lives!

But did you know MBAM is working on new anti-ransomware and it will be baked into MBAM! Everyone is saved - if they pay the new yearly $25 fee.

Voila! Malwarebytes new business model: EXTORTIONWARE.

The new business model will make millions for Marcin. Hell, it already is. Have you seen the NASCAR Malwarebytes sponsored race car? How about the shiny robot at all the security trade shows?

What's next? MBAM free will no longer be offered. Just watch.

Marcin the millionaire. Shame on you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:11 PM

Malwarebytes stated that AdwCleaner will continue to be developped and exist as a free product. How does that makes them greedy?

And then the ransomware threat exploded. Suddenly MBAM is now being shopped for a 5-dollar increase that will be applied yearly $24.95 and there is no more lifetime license.

A lot of company have shifted from the lifetime licence business model to the yearly licence one. Malwarebytes is no exception and to be fair they got in the game quite late. R&D isn't free, I personally think that if Malwarebytes had stayed with the lifetime licence business model, it would have prevented them from growing and they would be way smaller today.

But did you know MBAM is working on new anti-ransomware and it will be baked into MBAM! Everyone is saved - if they pay the new yearly $25 fee.

Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware is free to use and my guess is that it'll be like Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit. It'll remain a stand-alone product (free), always in a beta state. When the technology gets stable, it'll be rolled in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and a new beta will be released.

Voila! Malwarebytes new business model: EXTORTIONWARE.

I fail to see the extortion from Malwarebytes in your post.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY

• Security Developer
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

First off, I'm sorry you feel that way. Here are the facts:

1. The product has always been $24.95.

2. When we switched to a subscription model, we grandfathered in every. Single. Customer. Meaning, if you bought it, we honored your lifetime key and continue to do so.

3. We have almost 400 engineers, threat researchers, and more to pay. This is not an easy job, and criminals are way ahead of most security companies.

4. Remediation is FREE. Literally free. We build software to HELP YOU FOR FREE. I can't take the anger and reaction seriously when we clean up 250 million computers a year for FREE. This is not going away, consider this my pledge to the security community.

5. JRT is still maintained and free, AdwCleaner will be as well.

6. $25 a year is still one of the cheapest product on the market, by a substantial amount.

7. Ultimately, you don't have to use the product. Instead of posting hate speech, just go use a competitive product that fits your needs. AdwCleaner is not going away, you can continue to use it without Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Marcin Kleczynski
Malwarebytes CEO

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:20 PM

So Marcin Kleczynski and his Malwarebytes company purchased AdwCleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/) (https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/)

https://press.malwarebytes.com/2016/10/19/malwarebytes-acquires-adwcleaner/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Not a good sign.

I used to really admire MBAM until they started getting greedy.

And then the ransomware threat exploded. Suddenly MBAM is now being shopped for a 5-dollar increase that will be applied yearly $24.95 and there is no more lifetime license. And to go along with this drastic price increase is a sudden flooding of the media with articles about the threat of malware especially RANSOMWARE. Run for your lives!

Voila! Malwarebytes new business model: EXTORTIONWARE.

The new business model will make millions for Marcin. Hell, it already is. Have you seen the NASCAR Malwarebytes sponsored race car? How about the shiny robot at all the security trade shows?

What's next? MBAM free will no longer be offered. Just watch.

Marcin the millionaire. Shame on you.

What a stupid comment, its a business and needs to make money for wages, R&D and advertising.

Have you ever ran a business of their size? Whats the largest amount of money you have had to manage, 1 million, 400 million?

My god i cant even believe such stupid is allowed in this forum LOL.

All Av and Malware companies charge because you always get a better product when you pay, free is just that its free and dont expect any support with free products.

I dont know the company directory but he can make as much as he wants and if people are willing to pay then so be it, if he price gouges then people wont pay or even better, stop using their product.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:21 PM

First off, I'm sorry you feel that way. Here are the facts:

1. The product has always been $24.95.

2. When we switched to a subscription model, we grandfathered in every. Single. Customer. Meaning, if you bought it, we honored your lifetime key and continue to do so.

3. We have almost 400 engineers, threat researchers, and more to pay. This is not an easy job, and criminals are way ahead of most security companies.

4. Remediation is FREE. Literally free. We build software to HELP YOU FOR FREE. I can't take the anger and reaction seriously when we clean up 250 million computers a year for FREE. This is not going away, consider this my pledge to the security community.

5. JRT is still maintained and free, AdwCleaner will be as well.

6. $25 a year is still one of the cheapest product on the market, by a substantial amount.

7. Ultimately, you don't have to use the product. Instead of posting hate speech, just go use a competitive product that fits your needs. AdwCleaner is not going away, you can continue to use it without Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

You should not have to explain your self here mate.

Lets hope the OP doesnt expect a free car or roads hey!

#6 ken545

ken545

Malware Response Team

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:05 PM

L1ngus, this guy makes no sense at all.  A very stupid comment.  Malwarebytes products are the best in the world and getting better all the time. 

mvp_host.pngConsumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

donate.gif Please consider a donation to help me keep up my fight against malware.

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no response in 3 days

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:43 AM

Please remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion, insulting others because you do not agree is not the way to go; instead explain politely why you disagree if you wish to participate (example: Aura's and Marcin's replies disagree with the OP but do so in a polite and constructive manner).

I also would like to address another point here:

I fail to see the relevance here: AFAIK MBAM changed its license model more than a year ago, this is not a recent development.

Suggesting that this is motivated by an acclaimed increase in ransomware threats makes no sense. Check any security blog (no matter what vendor) and you can see for yourself that, yes, the amount of ransomware has exploded. Publishing information about this is not flooding, it is reflecting a very real trend in malware land and considering the implications of a ransomware infection, it is absolutely necessary that computer users are informed about this. 

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users