Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Shut Down Computer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rustychef83

Rustychef83

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:57 PM

The help would be very much appreciated.... Everytime I try to shut down my computer it freezes at the windows is shutting down screen and I have to push the button in and hold it to shut it down. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:08 PM

What programs, including security, do you have running when you shut down?

Have you configured Auto-updates to install at shutdown?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:05 PM

Besides the information that Orange Blossom requested... Could you also provide the following:

When did you start to have this problem?
Were there any changes made around the time that this started to occur?
I would assume you are using XP... is Service Pack 2 installed and do you have all security updates and patches?
If your computer is a brand name(Dell, HP etc), what is the make and model? If it is not a brand name, some system specs may be helpful.

That's all. :thumbsup:
JC

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:49 AM

Have you made any recent changes to the power settings - either in the BIOS or within Windows?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Grembo

Grembo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:42 AM

Hi,

I have similar problem - PC always freezes on "windows is shutting down" and needs hard reboot. I have an HP Pavilion, SP2 and automatic updates. Have tried cleaning registry (using Winferno registry power cleaner - to no avail). Not aware I have loaded any new software recently (apart from automatic updates) and don't use power settings.

Computer takes an age to start up (2 or 3 minutes) but otherwise works OK.

Any ideas?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

Hard shutdowns will corrupt files, system and otherwise.

When a system won't shut down it is usally an ap you were using that is hanging or even something like the sound windows plays at shutdown.

Use Startup Inspector and disable all aps from starting except your av program, firewall, anti-malware aps that provide real time protection and essential Windows aps.

See if that stops the problem.
Let us know.

It could be your av program not allowing Windows to shut down too.
Do you use Norton?

#7 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

hi,

this may help in certain circumstances, might be worth a try:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...#AdditionalInfo

#8 Grembo

Grembo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hi,

Thanks. I've used startup inspector to remove all non essential programs from start up as you suggested. Has helped in that logging on is now a bit faster but still freezes on "windows is hutting down ...." window and needs hard reboot.

I've also tried the Microsoft download suggested - also doesn't seem to work.

I guess most likely is anti-virus/firewall which I didn't disable (at least not the bits described as essential) McAfee is my a-v/firewall and wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem - is there possibly a conflict with that program. Can/should I totally disable them to see if that removes the freeze?

Thanks again for the help which is much appreciated - at least I think I'm now narrowing down the possible causes!

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 02:44 PM

Rather than disabling your AV and Firewall, instead when you want to shut down:

1) Manually disconnect from the internet
2) Unload or stop your AV and Firewall. Generally you can do this by right-clicking on the icon in the system tray and hitting exit, or stop, or unload. Different programs use different terms for the same thing. WAIT until it has all unloaded or stopped. Use the processes tab in Task manager to see if they have stopped.

Then shut down and see if the freezing stops.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 Grembo

Grembo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:03 PM

Thanks,

Did as Orange Blossom suggested - but can't switch off McAfee easily - it just bounces back. So, I removed all McAfee processes. This stopped McAfee - but not the problem - Windows still won't shut down!

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:50 PM

I suspect it's the McAfee - but check your Event Viewer for error messages to confirm it ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Grembo

Grembo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

Thanks - I've tried that and there are an awful lot of error messages. Sadly, none when the system freezes on the windows is shutting down screen.

By far the most common (and recent) errors are:

Application hang:

Hanging application E_S10RN2.EXE, version 3.0.4.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67 ion Hang
0010: 20 20 45 5f 53 31 30 52 E_S10R
0018: 4e 32 2e 45 58 45 20 33 N2.EXE 3
0020: 2e 30 2e 34 2e 30 20 69 .0.4.0 i
0028: 6e 20 68 75 6e 67 61 70 n hungap
0030: 70 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e p 0.0.0.
0038: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 0 at off
0040: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 30 set 0000
0048: 30 30 30 30 0000

Security failure

Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: Owner
Domain: HPINSTUDY
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: Advapi
Authentication Package: Negotiate
Workstation Name: HPINSTUDY

System Error

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer LISBETH that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{469CC148-06A3-487F-A. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 43 1f 00 c0 ....C..
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

For info - I have a wireless network. HPinStudy is my computer , computer Lisbet is my wife's. If anyone can tell me what this means it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:45 AM

The Master Browser thing isn't a problem - it's just notifying you that there was a disagreement over which computer is the master browser - and that the HPINSTUDY computer gave up it's master browser status. (there can only be one master browser on the network). Here's a link with more detail: http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/brow...-microsoft.html

BTW - this most commonly happens if there's computers on the network that are put into hibernation or standby. If the computer that's the master browser is put into hibernation or standby - then it will think that it's the master browser when it wakes up. But, if you've started another computer up (while the first one was sleeping), it will assume that it's the master browser. So (once the first one wakes up) they'll have to "duke it out" to see who's the master of them all! :thumbsup:

Anywhoooo.....The other error is most likely about the Epson software on your system ( http://www.fbmsoftware.com/spyware-net/pro...10rn2_exe/1191/ )

I'd suggest that the fix is to uninstall your Epson software and then to reinstall the most recent version available from their website. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

If it doesn't, then we'll work on the next most common error messages and figure it out from there. :flowers:

Edited by usasma, 24 October 2006 - 07:48 AM.

#14 Grembo

Grembo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

Thanks (belatedly) - have now been able to check all the possible causes and found the problem - McAfee! Used Msconfig which showed it was one the services. Turned out to be McShield - which I've disabled and wil erase when I find out how (and replace with a safer virus shield). Also, Mcshield really slows down CPU so my machine is now lots faster.

Thanks again.

#15 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

I'm glad you got your issue sorted out, and thanks for reporting back what the solution was.

I would like to add a couple of things to this thread so anyone else who might find it would have the benefit of some more troubleshooting ideas:

XP shutdown issues can be caused by any one of a variety of reasons. There is a great article written about XP shutdown issues that you can find HERE.

Also, I have found that often the problem (especially with laptops) is a corrupt exit sound file. This is easy to test as you simply tell XP not to run the sound when you shut down your computer.
Start > Control Panel > Sounds, Speach and Audio Devices > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab
Under Program Events, scroll down until you see Exit Windows. Click on it once to select it. Then below, under Sounds, choose None.
Click Apply
Click OK

Reboot and see if the issue goes away.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users